Aztecs are fighting for a greater cause

Antonio Morales

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Football players are generally seen as tough because of the physical nature of the game. On Saturday the San Diego State football team helped those who are fighting through a much tougher battle.

SDSU hosted its Third Annual Women’s Football Academy this weekend. Head coach Rocky Long, along with players and other members of the coaching staff, helped guide the WFA students through drills, a film session and a scrimmage.

All of the proceeds of the WFA benefitted Susan G. Komen for the Cure, San Diego and its efforts for breast cancer research.

Long saw it as part of the program’s duty to help give back to the community.

“Any time you’re a program that has a public image it’s your responsibility to give back to the community,” Long said. “We’re excited and very happy to be associated with Susan G. Komen, they’re great at what they do.”

In 2009, the WFA had 80 participants and raised around $3,800. Last year, there were more than 120 women who took part and helped raise $6,000.

There have been no official numbers released for this year’s event but the turnout appeared to exceed last year’s total.

The WFA students were picking up the nuances of the game as they were being taught by Aztec players and coaches.

“It’s very informative, the coaches are real good,” WFA student Kathy Ebbert said. “It helps for when we sit with our husbands to watch it now.”

Senior defensive back Larry Parker noted he was trying to teach women the basics of the game.

“Just teaching them the fundamentals of football,” Parker said. “All the good stuff, how to be a decent football player.”

Football may have been the main activity of the day, but the main cause of the WFA wasn’t forgotten by those involved.

“I think it’s great, it’s awesome,” Ebbert said. “You never imagine football players standing in the room hearing about us take mammograms. It’s a good cause, I’m glad they did it.”