JAM: A Place MOMM would like

Inside the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, CA.

Hidden away in the beautiful California hills of Carlsbad sits the Museum of Making Music, one of my favorite spots in all of San Diego. This quaint little museum, located just a block away from both Legoland and Karl Strauss Brewery, displays one of the largest collections of rare and vintage instruments this side of the Mississippi and is sure to empress both music lovers and avid players alike. I know I was impressed.

The Museum of Making Music features five galleries of vintage instruments and interactive displays designed to give visitors a chronological look at the changes and innovations of the American music industry from the past 100 years. Each gallery highlights the musical innovations of an era, from ragtime, jazz and blues, to the birth of rock ‘n’ roll and both electric and electronic instruments. Each gallery also features instruments that can be played by guests, including a 100-year-old Gibson mandolin and a Theremin.

The final gallery — the highlight of the whole museum — is exclusively dedicated to interactive instruments. This room has a wide range of guitars, keyboards and percussion instruments, including a Rickenbacker 4003 bass and a Roland black sparkle Ax-Synth, which can be played independently through headphones, or together through overhead speakers. Next to each instrument is also a touch screen panel that can access interactive guides and tutorials for playing the instrument itself.

The Museum of Making Music’s mission statement is “to celebrate the rich history of music and to encourage the future of music making.” This museum succeeds in both. Even though it is a bit small and out of the way, it’s well worth the admission fee and the scenic drive up the coast makes for a great excursion.

The Museum of Making Music

5790 Armada Drive

Carlsbad, CA 92008

Admission: $8

Hours: Tuesday thru Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

JAM: A Place MOMM would like