Hit the pavement with efficient strides

running woman

As the holidays quickly approach, curious minds may seek the best way to shed some extra pounds before indulging in their favorite seasonal treats. Some may choose to work out at the gym, while others may prefer to take a stroll around the park. Everyone is different. However, these options beg the question of which method is more effective: a heart-pumping, high-impact run or a brisk, low-impact walk?

It is easy to assume, because of its more obvious level of exertion, that running would be it. After all, popular opinion suggests running a mile burns more calories in less time than walking.

However, this theory is worth a test. In 2004, a group of Syracuse University researchers conducted a study that determined the amount of calories burned by 12 men and 12 women during a run and walk. The study showed that, while walking 1,600 meters (approximately a mile) on a treadmill, men burned an average of 88 calories and women worked off approximately 74 calories. When running, on the other hand, men burned an average of 124 calories while women burned about 105 calories. This data suggested running was, in fact, more effective. However, there still seemed to be more to the equation than simple calorie counting.

The motion people undergo when walking requires a constant effort to keep legs and posture straight. However, when running, a person jumps from one foot to the other, keeping their balance and bending their knees. This difference proves to be significant in determining where a fine line can be crossed between running and walking.

“This continual rise and fall of our weight requires a tremendous amount of Newtonian force (fighting gravity) on both takeoff and landing,” Runner’s World writer Amby Burfoot wrote.

Recent studies have shown the most effective way to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle is to stay active, eat healthily and exercise. However, the key to this success is not through sweating on the treadmill: Instead, as many nutritionists are beginning to suggest, it’s in the force of a power walk.

Power walking is efficient because a person’s body has to work twice as hard to keep the same momentum throughout the whole exercise. Not only does power walking efficiently burn calories, but it also strengthens the core, the glutes and the legs.

“The body has to work extra hard because, instinctively, we tell ourselves to break into a jog or a run when moving that quickly,” nutritionist and creator of the talk show “The Fitness Guru” Michael Feigin said.

Feigin suggests increasing arm activity when power walking to develop a faster pace. He also suggests by adding incline to a workout, the body will exert itself more quickly and produce better results.

“Increase the amount you work your arms and again the level of exertion, and consequently your heart rate and calorie burn go up as well,” Feigin added.

When beginning a power-walking workout, always warm up to get the blood flowing. Also, remember to stand as tall as possible by lifting the chin and raising the base of the skull to improve posture. Another tip is to use a heart rate monitor to track exertion levels.

The step is simple, keep walking quickly and efficiently, and enjoy the best results one could ask for.

Hit the pavement with efficient strides