Peer into infinity at local stargazing spots

stargazing

Living in San Diego has its ups and downs. The beach is always accessible and wonderful landmarks, such as the Cabrillo National Monument and Mount Soledad, are never too far away. However, nothing is perfect.

According to Time magazine, San Diego ranked No. 10 in America’s most polluted cities, tied with Pittsburgh. Along with the obstruction caused by city lights, pollution has its repercussions. One of these repercussions is a limited view of constellations in the night sky.

Many people embark on summer camping trips during childhood, trying to locate the Big Dipper and the North Star in the dark, star-filled sky. Well, why not do this again? However, this time, do some research and invite friends on an adventure to San Diego’s countryside.

Just on the outskirts of San Diego, take a trip to the city of apple pies where the Julian StarFest is held. The festival offers stargazers the opportunity to let loose for a weekend and camp out in the open sky. At the event, astronomy aficionados can enjoy lectures, stargazing and an exhibition of large, manufactured telescopes.

This weekend getaway is held once a year in August at the Menghini Winery. During the day, there are local vendors selling food, telescopes, software and other astronomy-related items. Prices are $5 for general admission and $30 to camp out. This is an event no astronomy lover should miss.

If funding for gas is a problem, there are also local areas in San Diego all constellation lovers can visit. The San Diego Astronomy Association hosts public star parties at dusk every first Wednesday of the month at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center’s Heikoff Dome Theater. Telescopes are set up after the planetarium show “The Sky Tonight” on the north side of the science center.

The SDAA also organizes a monthly viewing of the sky at Mission Trails Regional Park. Members set up telescopes from 6-9 p.m. every second Friday of the month at the Kumeyaay Campground’s Day Use Parking Lot.

Students fascinated with astronomy are encouraged to sign up for the astronomy lab class, which offers students the chance to visit Mount Laguna Observatory near the Cleveland National Forest. This class is offered at San Diego State and is open to all majors. At the observatory, lab students are given the opportunity to use four different telescopes, including one that is 50 inches wide.

So, take a trip to the countryside or simply look up within city limits for an eye-opening experience with the night sky. It could be a much-needed break away from midterms and homework.