SDSU strives for safe campus

Not even a full year has gone by since the murder of 32 people by a lone, disturbed gunman at Virginia Tech, and students at schools all across the country must still worry about the danger that lurks.Within a week, two students were gunned down at Louisiana Technical College, a high school student was shot in Tennessee, a middle school student was killed in Oxnard and, last Thursday six students were shot and killed in a lecture hall on the campus of Northern Illinois University. Once again, students at San Diego State are reminded of the potential danger that could strike anytime and anywhere on campus.University Police Lt. Lamine Secka said no changes have been made to their emergency preparedness plan as a direct result of the incident at NIU, but he did say officers are always training for the worst-case scenario.”It’s an ongoing dialogue and it always is,” he said. “We have a number of safety drills scheduled throughout the year, and the next one coming up will focus on an event such as (the NIU shootings).”Nancy Lopez from the division of business and financial affairs said SDSU’s campus emergency plan is always under review.”We are continually looking at the way we do things,” Lopez said. “The plan is written so that emergency response can happen in a quick way.”In addition to the fatal shooting at SDSU – three engineering professors were shot and killed by a graduate student in 1996 – the campus has dealt with other threats such as wildfires, most recently in October, when classes were cancelled for a week. “We look at how we did things (in October),” Lopez said. “What we could do, the lessons we learned, because it is an ongoing learning experience and then if there are things, we can correct them to be better in the future.”In an e-mail sent to all students in response to the NIU shootings, SDSU Police Chief John Browning reminded everyone to immediately report any suspicious activity by contacting University Police through one of the “blue light” emergency duress phones located across the campus. He also wrote that SDSU is launching a new voice and text messaging alert system called AlertSanDiego. More than 20,000 students and employees have already registered, according to the e-mail.Secka said the important thing to take away from the incident is to always keep personal safety in mind.”Pay attention to your surroundings,” he said. “If there are suspicious activities or a particular person of concern, make somebody aware of it.”More information regarding SDSU’s emergency preparedness is available online at bfa.sdsu.edu/emergency and updates during a crisis are available on a recorded information line at (866) 794-8832.

SDSU strives for safe campus