Alcohol, Drug-Related Crimes Jump

Police say rise is due to increasedenforcement

BYCrystal FambriniStaff Writer

On and around the San Diego State University campus, alcohol anddrug-related crimes have increased. Since 1996, the number of alcoholand drug violations has risen significantly.

According to University Police statistics, alcohol violationsjumped from 200 in 1996 to 363 in 1998; and drug violations grew from38 in 1996 to 81 in 1998.

“When you put more attention into something, to the untrained eyeit looks worse,” said University Police officer Doug Miller. “But inreality we just have more people making arrests.”

The University Police recently added two more officers to itsstaff funded by a $12,000 grant from the state aimed at combatingunder-age drinking.

Marc Fox, crime prevention specialist for the University Police,said the numbers are up because of increased enforcement andincreased awareness.

“I suspect an increase this year in alcohol- and drug-relatedarrests,” Fox said. “But probably in the next year or two I suspectit will decline.”

The University Police are taking a zero-tolerance approach toenforcing alcohol and drug violations in order to avoid situations inthe 1980s where SDSU was deemed the No. 1 party school by Playboymagazine.

“In the early ’80s we had to step up enforcement,” Fox said. “Wewere literally writing 1,000 tickets per year and it wasn’t unusualto write 20 tickets a night.”

Miller said next semester a grant from the Alcohol BeverageControl will be used in undercover police work to focus on bustingstores who sell alcohol to minors, underage drinkers and drunkendrivers.

Fox said he strongly supports the proactive education rolefocusing on enforcement and education.

Each year, at least one SDSU student is killed or severely injuredin an alcohol-related accident or incident. Ninety-five percent ofsexual assaults at SDSU involve alcohol or drug usage by the victimand/or suspect, usually to a level of intoxication.

Besides the social ramifications associated with alcohol anddrugs, there are legal ramifications as well. Consumption orpossession of an open alcoholic beverage container in public can leadto a $150 fine.

“It is a matter of being responsible,” Fox said. “Students need tounderstand that if you are going to play then you are going to pay.”

For more information about the cause and effects of alcohol anddrug violations visit the University Police Web site at: http://police.sdsu.edu.

Alcohol, Drug-Related Crimes Jump