Clinton’s education policy

About a month ago, President Bill Clinton unveiled his plans to update America’s educational system for the 21st century. Apparently, Clinton wants historians to look on him as the education president whose programs prepared the nation’s children for the jobs of tomorrow.

But it appears more likely that historians will just overlook him, much like they do Rutherford B. Hayes.

Americans expect their presidents to be bold and their goals even bolder, but Clinton has failed on both counts.

As detailed in January, Clinton wants $50 billion for education programs. Parents who have children in college and make under $100,000 a year will receive a $1,500 tax credit for each student’s first year of school. In the second year, they receive another credit only if the student earns a B average and has no drug convictions. Also, he wants a phased-in $10,000 deduction for college tuition or job training costs and a 20-percent increase in education spending for pre-kindergarten, third-grade reading tutors and Internet linkage.

To The Daily Aztec, it appears this plan needs some fine tuning. Money for schools is always welcome, but the important decision lies in where the money should be spent. The bulk of it should not go to higher education. The higher education system in this country is second to none, and community colleges and private and public universities continue to do efficient work with an ample amount of funds. Student loan programs allow millions to attend school who would not have been able to only 20 years ago.

The real crisis in education is in elementary, junior high and high schools. Inner-city high schools are protected with barbed wire and metal detectors, while students

Clinton’s education policy