Attendance policy is clarified

In January 1997, the San Diego State University Undergraduate Committee wrote a memorandum clarifying the school’s attendance policy.

According to Carole Scott, dean of the Division of Undergraduate Studies, the policy has been in effect for some time, and it states that if students do not attend the first day of class and they are not present at the beginning of the second day of class, professors have the option of giving away their spaces.

“The problem was that the policy left open a gray area,” Scott said, “because it is not the professor’s right to drop a student from a course. It is the student’s right and responsibility.”

According to Scott, professors have hesitated to give away seats because they were uncertain whether the absent students actually wanted to drop the courses.

“The Undergraduate Committee wrote up a clarification to the policy,” Scott said. “Now if the student does not attend the first day of class and is not present at the start of the second, he or she forfeits their space in the class.”

According to Scott, the absentee students must drop the course at that time. If they refuse, they must pursue the matter with the department.

Usually, refusal to drop the course will result in a failing, unsatisfactory or incomplete grade for the course.

As with many policies, there is an exception to this rule: Students with extenuating circumstances are not asked to drop their courses.

“If a student cannot attend the first day, or even first week of class, he or she must call the Dean of Students to explain why,” Scott said. “Then, a notice will be sent to the professor of the course and the place will be held.”

According to Scott, the policy was in dire need of change.

“We were getting calls from faculty members who didn’t know what to do,” she said. “They didn’t want to give the seat away because they were unsure about what the absent student was going to do.

“Students were also upset because they wanted the space in the class and they should be able to have it.”

Scott said the rewording of the policy will clarify the issue.

For the most part, students seem to be responding positively to the clarification.

“There are some courses that I need for my major, and if other people are going to cut the class, I think I should be able to have their place,” an SDSU senior who declined to give his name said.

Scott agreed wholeheartedly.

“If students aren’t going to use the space, someone else should be able to use it,” she said.

Attendance policy is clarified