Campus alcohol sales policy to be reviewed

(R to L) Joshua Cardwell, Kristin Manganaro and Andrew Cox drink pitchers of beer on Monty’s Patio. Monty’s is the only place on campus to buy beer, but this may soon change.
MITCH LACEY/Daily Aztec

The University Senate is reviewing the campus alcohol sales policy to determine whether alcohol should be sold in more on-campus locations.

According to Aztec Shops employee Jack Dement, the policy states that unless it is a special event or occasion, alcohol may be sold only in Monty’s Den.

This policy, however, may be changed soon.

“There is a draft policy, which is not finalized,” Dement said. “We are exploring the possibility of selling alcohol in locations like the baseball field, the Open Air Theatre and the Student Activity Center.”

If the new policy is adopted, it will mean more money for Aztec Shops, as well as increased availability of alcoholic beverages for students.

Some students would be glad to see this new policy in effect.

“For those of us who are old enough to drink, we should be able to have a choice of places to go,” said senior John Littner.

“The new policy will be a lot better.”

Some students, however, feel the policy would be a bad idea.

“I don’t drink, and I don’t think I should have to be around drunk people on campus,” said a junior who declined to give her name.

“I’m not saying they shouldn’t change the policy to make it more available, but I think people should be limited to the amount of alcohol they are allowed to drink on campus.”

Another student who also declined to give her name said she did not think there should even be a bar on campus.

“People shouldn’t be drinking before class anyway,” she said. “(Monty’s) adds to the perception that this is a party school.”

According to Dement, the policy is only a rough draft right now.

“A decision should be made soon,” Dement said. “Probably in the next couple of weeks.”

Students who have concerns about the policy should contact Aztec Shops or the University Senate.