Parking measures taken for Centennial

Extraordinary efforts will be made to manage parking and traffic for Founder’s Day tomorrow. Anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000 people are expected to show up for San Diego State University’s 100th birthday celebration, which will include food, music, dance, cake, fireworks and free movies.

John Carpenter, chief of University Police, said people should plan to park in Parking Structure I (College Avenue), Parking Structure IV (west side of the campus by the Arena), or in lots C, F, G or H.

“There will be all kinds of people such as student assistants and San Diego police officers in the streets leading people to where they need to go,” Carpenter said.

Parking Structure II, on Hardy Avenue near the KPBS building, will be accessible only for disabled parking and event/staff participants, said Mike Smoger, assistant director of Public Safety at SDSU. He said this policy will be in effect from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. tomorrow.

“The interior of the campus and Parking Structure II will be controlled,” Smoger said. “These people need convenient places to park.”

Campanile Drive will be closed from 6 a.m. to noon tomorrow due to safety reasons and a classic-car display. The closure will include the intersections of Campanile Drive and Hardy Avenue, and Campanile Drive and Lindo Paseo.

Aztec Circle Drive also will be closed at the College Avenue entrance to the campus from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

For people getting to SDSU before noon by bus, the temporary bus terminal will be at the intersection of Montezuma Road and College Avenue, said Shari Martinez, a sales manager with Enjoy California, a destination management company that is working with SDSU for the event.

“I will be posting signs in the bus areas beginning today to let people know where to go,” she said.

Parking measures taken for Centennial