Burns’ successor to be named soon

San Diego State Athletics Director Rick Bay is a man of many talents. From engineering the construction of Tony Gwynn Stadium to signing Aztec football coach Ted Tollner to a contract extension, Bay has shown many of his capabilities.

His talents, however, have been put to the test over the last few weeks in trying to find a replacement for women’s basketball coach Beth Burns.

“It has been a challenge finding someone with the qualifications that Beth had,” Bay said. “We were very disappointed with her leaving, but we are trying to attract someone outstanding.”

Bay has been a busy man this week, interviewing SDSU assistants Eileen Feeney and Cathy McDonald, and University of Colorado assistant Barb Smith. He is also scheduled to interview four more candidates this week.

Smith, who played at Ohio State while Bay was the athletics director for the Buckeyes, currently coaches at Colorado.

Serving as an assistant coach under Buffaloes coach Ceal Berry for nine years, Colorado has been one of the most successful women’s basketball programs in the country, amassing a 320-126 record.

On Wednesday, Bay confirmed his interview with St. Francis College (Pa.) head coach Jenny Pzrekwas. In her six seasons at St. Francis, Pzrekwas has amassed a 92-79 record and led her team to a 21-9 record last year and an appearance in the NCAA tournament.

“We want somebody dynamic,” Aztecs senior forward Olivia DiCamilli said. “Beth was a special coach, and we are looking for somebody who can be as successful as she was.”

Bay’s list of criteria for a new coach is very definite, and he refuses to budge on the qualifications. He stresses experience, a successful track record and a number of various intangibles for the new coach.

“One of the things Burns was really successful at was producing good student athletes,” Bay said. “That is something very important to us producing athletes that are good citizens.”

DiCamilli echoed Bay’s comments.

“Not just anybody can replace Beth,” DiCamilli said. “She had a special bond with the players, athletic department and community. Those are things that a new coach is going to have to get used to.”

One thing that many fans were worried about was the Aztecs’ new recruits. According to DiCamilli, many SDSU fans were concerned that the recruits, many of whom came to San Diego to be coached by Burns, would bail out of their commitment to play for SDSU.

“I have talked to all of the new recruits,” Bay said. “I have been reassuring all of them that we will bring someone of Beth’s quality to coach them, and they have all reassured me that they will be here.”

Bay is very confident that his selection for a new coach will be a strong one. He also believes that his quest is coming to a climax.

“We should have a new coach within the next few weeks,” Bay said.

Burns’ successor to be named soon