Students honored in mentoring program

The Professional Studies and Fine Arts Faculty/Student Mentoring Program held its second annual “Dean Joyce Gattas Honor Roll Reception” last Friday in San Diego State University’s International Student Center.

The purpose of the program was to recognize mentors and prot?g?s with excellent academic achievements.

A certificate of academic achievement was presented to students who received a 3.0 overall grade-point average for the 1996 spring and fall semesters. The students were given the opportunity to honor SDSU faculty or staff members who have made a significant difference in their college lives. Family members of the recipients were also invited.

The mentoring program is designed to make the transition from high school or junior college to SDSU easier. An upper-division student, known as the mentor, is paired with an entering freshman or transfer student, known as a prot?g?. The program has 13 mentors from nine different PSFA majors.

“More than 80 students earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher in their first semester,” Randi McKenzie, director of the program, said. “With 40 percent of our freshmen on academic probation, this is nice to hear.”

The main feature of this year’s reception was the awarding of two scholarships in the name of a student who died last fall.

Laurin Jones, a freshman majoring in pre-physical therapy, was a prot?g? in the mentoring program. Jones died unexpectedly last semester of kidney failure.

“Laurin was a student with much promise,” McKenzie said. “She was a scholar in the top 10 percent of her high school class.”

To honor her memory, the mentoring program created the Laurin Jones Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship will be awarded to other entering freshmen with overall GPAs of 3.3 and who show promise and act as role models for other students.

Luz Lopez, an art major, and Kiana Martin, a journalism major, each received a $400 scholarship in Jones’ name.

“This is a surprise,” Lopez said. “I didn’t know this was going to happen. I’m very happy.”

Debbie Thompson, an art major, is Lopez’s mentor. Thompson believes her prot?g? is deserving of this award.

“Luz is enthusiastic and works very hard,” Thompson said. “She is very mature in her decisions and her goals. She has a great attitude and is an asset to this campus. She is always helping people and never complains.”

Martin is described by her mentor, LaVetta Buchannon, as highly motivated. She regularly attends and participates in the mentoring programs offered throughout the semester, Buchannon said.

The scholarship was made possible through donations by the SDSU Residential Hall Association, MEChA, the exercise and nutritional science department, the SDSU Scholarship Office, the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts, the Faculty/Student Mentoring Program and the San Diego Inner-City Faith Fellowship.

Jones’ family traveled to San Diego from Lynwood, Calif., to see the scholarships presented in their daughter’s name. Jones’ mother, Rinelle, is pleased with the program and thinks the scholarships are a great way to have Laurin remembered.

McKenzie believes the annual honor roll reception is important.

“I don’t think there are enough opportunities on this campus for students to be recognized for their academic work,” McKenzie said. “Our program’s focus is academic retention; therefore, we should recognize this and encourage the students to continue working hard.”

Mentoring programs exist within each college at SDSU. The program began in 1988 when the state began issuing lottery funds to be used for programs that increase the academic and personal success of various student groups.

Students honored in mentoring program