Arts this week

Marcy Playground (Dan Rieser, John Wozniak and Dylan Keefe) play ‘Canes next Thursday.
Courtesy

Friday, Feb. 13

San Diego Hot Jazz Party ? A four-day, 32-hour swinging party of world-renowned jazz musicians ? the likes of Herb Kratze and Gus Statiras ? displaying their groove. Starts at 7:30 at the Mission Valley Marriott. Samba and swing don’t stop until Monday at 6. Call the Marriott at 1-800-842-5329 for details.

Saturday, Feb. 14

Salome ? If you’re sick and disgusting and in a perfect relationship, you can take your mate to The San Diego Opera’s stellar performance of “Salome.” It plays through Feb. 22. Call the sopranos over at Ticketmaster for ticket prices.

Jaime Valle ? If you aren’t a member of the privileged mentioned above, then call up the Arts girls at 594-6968 and join us for an evening of swanky Latin jazz at the top of the US Grant Hotel. We’ll be the ones in red laughing at all the couples.

Sunday, Feb. 15

Triple Espresso ? OK, so we’ve suggested that you see this play for months now, but it’s the bomb! If you like comedy, bail on Jim Carrey rentals for the night and head to the Horton Grande Theatre, downtown, for some caffeinated cackles.

Monday, Feb. 16

The DFH Experience ? The experience starts at the Belly Up at 9. Catch Molly’s Swing Dance Class from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Then you’ll really be ready for the experience.

Tuesday, Feb. 17

92.5’s Neighborhood Watch ? First wish your local Arts editor a happy 22nd birthday, then head to the Belly Up for some San Diego music with East 76, The Upstarts, Broken Pretzel and Halfwits. Call 481-8140 for more info.

Wednesday, Feb. 18

Dance troupe at Monty’s ? Toss back a few brews and shimmy to the sounds of AB Samahan, Hip Hop dancers and Culture Shock at noon on Monty’s Patio.

Thursday, Feb. 19

Marcy Playground ? John Wozniak says he got the lyrics for the single while consummating his relationship with his college girlfriend when her roommate walked in and said, “It smells like sex and candy in here!” Catch these perverted pop rockers at ‘Canes. Tickets are $7. Call 220-TIXS for condoms and smarties.

? Battered and deep-fried by

Jessica Yadegaran

Arts this week