Greeks give back to the community

The fraternities and sororities at San Diego State University actively participate in philanthropies as a way of giving back to the community for its continued support of various events, from Rush to Greek Week.

Each house has a philanthropy for which it works. Sigma Alpha Epsilon sponsored a clothing drive over Winter Break, and Pi Beta Phi will be having the Sorority Volleyball Classic for all of the fraternities during the first weekend of March. The volleyball classic ? Arrowspike ? benefits Pi Phi’s philanthropy, Links to Literacy.

Fraternity Zeta Beta Tau also will be sponsoring a volleyball tournament for all sororities from April 16 through April 19. It will be joining KFMB TV to benefit Camp 8, a philanthropy that gives underprivileged children throughout San Diego County a chance to attend educational and recreational camps.

On Feb. 28, fraternities and sororities will participate in a tree-planting project along El Cajon Boulevard. According to College Area Business District Coordinator Patrick Stevenson, the purpose of this project is to beautify El Cajon Boulevard and the business district and to get people involved in the community.

The next all-greek philanthropy event is Project Smudge Out, a cleanup of San Diego that focuses on litter removal and painting over graffiti. The sororities will be working with the Wesley Foundation, which puts on the event. Project Smudge Out is held biweekly on Sundays. The next date has not yet been determined.

Houses of the Week

* Kappa Alpha was named InterFraternity Council House of the Week because of its participation in the Cerebral Palsy fund-raising marathon. The fraternity teamed up with the Data Works Corporation and the Junior InterFraternity Council to raise more than $90,000. Kappa Alpha President Jeff Steiber presented the check at the marathon, which was broadcast on Fox TV.

* Alpha Phi was named Panhellenic House of the Week because it acquired 17 new members during Rush.

Greeks give back to the community