Opinion Story

This letter is in response to the article written by James Holter, “Greek is the Gateway to Life” Feb. 11.

I saw a funny thing on the way to school the other day, it was a flock of sheep crossing the street; oh wait, it’s Rush Week again. Yes, every semester a few more bite the dust.

James Holter listed a few benefits about getting involved with the geeks, er, greeks, now here are a few reasons not to. Here’s a big one: Maintain your individuality! Some of you may think you’re distinct in some way, maybe you have a new shade of nail polish or because your scrunchie is orange while everyone else’s is blue. OK, maybe that’s a bit extreme, but it takes a strong soul to maintain one’s individuality. And of those who do, I guarantee they’re not in a sorority or a frat.

If individuality isn’t your goal and you want to join to make friends, let me tell you something. I’ve met the most amazing souls and created some of the strongest lifelong, and unconditional friendships since I’ve started college, and the beautiful part is, I didn’t have to pay some outrageous fee to do it, or go through some juvenile initiation ceremony.

My friends are there for me no matter what I wear, who I date, or where I work. How many of you can say the same and keep a straight face? And to those of you pledging, know this: go against the grain of your house or the greek system in general, and see how you get treated. I guarantee you will be ostracized in some way.

But if you’re still determined to wear those little ribbons, pay thousands of dollars, and make a bunch of pseudo-friends, go right ahead. You won’t see me anywhere near it, nor will you see any self-respecting individual. I for one, don’t need a pin to validate me or my friendships. And if greek is the gateway to life, lock me out!

Holter had one thing right in his article, “College is a special experience that not all people get to go through.” Don’t waste it on the greeks.

Rachael Sandidge-Wong

communications senior

Opinion Story