Cowboys(1-4) Vs. Aztecs (0-4)

Aztecsoffense must produce to end 16 years of frustration inLaramie

By David CorderoSports Editor

It’s been a long time.

The last time San Diego State left War Memorial Stadium victoriouswas Oct. 6, 1984. SDSU’s defense dominated that day, shutting outWyoming 21-0. With the way the Aztecs offense has played, a shutoutmay be what’s needed to end the streak.

“We’re going to go for the shutout regardless,” said SDSUcornerback Donte Gamble. “Our offense has been getting gameexperience so it’s time, some how, some way, they do good.”

Said wide receiver J.R. Tolver: “We’ve scored 26 points all year– we need to do something. Our defense has played their butts off.We need to put some points on the board. This weekend has to be theweekend, no exceptions.”

They are more than due.

There are 111 offenses in the country that score with morefrequency than the Aztecs (6.5 points per game). Only North Texas,with its six-point average is worse. SDSU has gone nine quarterswithout a touchdown and have only hit paydirt twice this season.

“(We) are capable of producing, but haven’t so far,” said Aztecshead coach Ted Tollner. “We haven’t made plays because we haven’tbeen in sync with the same people.”

Returning to the offensive line is sophomore guard JohnathanIngram, who missed two games with a right knee sprain. Hisreappearance in the starting lineup should be a boon to the runninggame, which has limped along at an average of 85.5 yards per game.

“Ifwe run the ball,” Tollner said, “it takes a lot of pressure off(quarterback) Lon (Sheriff).”

An improved rushing attack usually translates to better passingnumbers, a department in which SDSU has also struggled (162.5 avg.).Part of the reason has been poor quarterbacking by Sheriff, whoconnected with Oregon State defenders for five interceptions twoweeks ago. But in all fairness to Sheriff, his problems have beenmade worse by poor play from his wide receivers.

Case in point: Already down 35-3, Sheriff dropped back and locateda streaking Tolver, wide open in the middle of the field. He launcheda near-perfect pass that found Tolver in stride — but bounced offhis face mask.

“I’ve got to go out and play like I know how to play,” Tolversaid. “I haven’t been doing that. I’m the first one to admit it. Idropped a 38-yard touchdown pass … I couldn’t even look myteammates in the eyes.

“I have to step up.”

Tollner said his struggling receiving corps, as a whole, mustproduce if the team is to have success.

“We need them to have a breakout game if we’re going to be anykind of a factor in this conference race,” he said.

Looking at the problems the Aztecs have had this year, it’s nosurprise to see the outlook they’ve taken for the rest of the season.Despite losing its first four games, SDSU could still earn a bowlbid, since Saturday marks the first game of the 2000 Mountain WestConference season.

Defensive tackle Jerome Haywood said the team views the conferenceportion of the schedule as the beginning of a new season.

“The way I see it, we aren’t struggling yet,” he said. “Our seasonhas just begun. This is where it counts. It’s real important for usto win our first conference game.”

If you look at the history of this matchup, it doesn’t favor SDSU.The Aztecs have lost six in a row in the 7,220 foot altitude ofLaramie Wyo., the latest a 41-17 drubbing in 1997. However, there isone factor which may actually favor the Aztecs: The expected coldweather.

At press time, forecasts called for a high of 63 degrees and lowof 32 Saturday. Last season at Fort Collins, Colo., SDSU facedColorado State in blizzard-like conditions. Despite coming offconsecutive home losses in ideal conditions, the Aztecs perseveredand won, 17-10.

Haywood said he thrived on the cold weather last year and wouldn’tmind seeing it snow again.

“I love the cold,” Haywood said. “I rather it be cold than hot.That’s what makes a man. That’s what makes a football player. That’swhat makes a warrior.”

Another thing on the minds of the players is the school’s nicknamecontroversy. Much like the student and alumni population, the playersare overwhelmingly in support of keeping the name “Aztecs.” It issomething they will remember when they take the field Saturday.

“That’s what we are, Aztec warriors,” Haywood said. “The peoplewho want to take it away, want to take us away. We, as Aztec footballplayers and students, take pride in the Aztecs. It’s not to degradeanybody. So now, we have to win for the Aztecs’ name. Whether it’sgoing to help us out or not, who knows, but we’ve got to do it.”

Cowboys(1-4) Vs. Aztecs (0-4)