Can Sdsu Get Its Running Game Going?

When Jack Hawley went down with an injury, sophomore Lon Sheriffwas thrown into a difficult situation. Behind an injury-plaguedoffensive line and with an injured backfield behind him, Sheriff ledSan Diego State to a respectable record and pulled off multiplemiraculous road comebacks. Though the numbers show differently, thesophomore from Santee has made progress, and looks to finish up theseason strong against UNLV. He will face a Rebels pass defense thatyielded just 61 yards through the air against New Mexico this pastweekend.

Key Matchup: SDSU receivers vs. UNLV cornerbacks

J.R. Tolver caught his first touchdown pass of the year last weekand is ready for more. The last home game of the season will bringout the best — the wide receiving corps.

Advantage: Aztecs

When the Aztecs run:

UNLV had success stopping the air attack of the Lobos, but its rundefense was a different story. The Rebels gave up 143 yards rushing,unable to stop the committee of running backs UNM threw at them.SDSU’s running game has been anemic due to the high numbers ofinjuries to starting running backs. James Truvillion looked good attimes against Air Force, but was not able to play the entire game.The offensive line is healthy, so the pressure now falls on thebacks.

Key Matchup: SDSU running backs vs. UNLV defensive front

SDSU has yet to get a running game, and the likelihood of itfinally happening this weekend is slim.

Advantage: Rebels

When the Rebels pass:

Memo to Mountain West Conference:

Look out for Jason Thomas. John Robinson’s first big steal hasmade an impact already and has two more years of eligibility. Thomas,a transfer from USC, has the pinpoint accuracy and elusiveness to bea very efficient quarterback. After an ankle injury sidelined him inthe middle of the season, Thomas started last week and threw agame-winning touchdown, keeping his team’s bowl hopes alive. To reacha bowl, the Rebels will take on an Aztecs secondary that has improvedmuch since the beginning of the season. This week will mark the endof Brian Russell’s career, one that has spanned three positions.

Key Matchup: Brian Russell vs. whomever he’s guarding

For his going-away party, Russell will do his part to shut downUNLV’s passing attack.

Advantage: Aztecs

When the Rebels run:

SDSU’s run defense is reeling. Knowing that virtually every playwas going to be the option, the Aztecs were still unable to slow downAir Force’s potent running attack. Things won’t get much easier forSDSU when UNLV comes to town. Rebels halfback Jeremi Rudolph has runoff four straight 100-yard rushing games, and has a total of five onthe year. That total leads the MWC. For the Aztecs to stop Rudolph,the linebackers have to step up. Senior Brian Berg is the leader ofthis crew, and the emotion of his last game will energize thedefense.

Key Matchup: UNLV offensive line vs. SDSU linebackers

Berg and company are out for redemption after last week’s debacle.

Advantage: Aztecs

— Compiled by Jared Quient

Can Sdsu Get Its Running Game Going?