Edwards’ Swan Song at Center Stage

By Steve MullinsAssistant Sports Editor

The end of an era.

That phrase has been on the lips of many football people eversince LaVell Edwards announced his decision to retire following the2000 season.

“He’s had a very enviable career,” said Air Force head coachFisher DeBerry. “Over time, he’ll be recognized as one of thegreatest who has ever coached the game.”

Indeed.

In 1972, Edwards took over a Brigham Young team that had just oneconference title and zero bowl appearances in its 47-year existence.Since then, Edwards has led BYU to 20 conference championships and 22bowl games.

So far this season, he hasn’t enjoyed the storybook ending manywere thinking he would. The Cougars (5-6, 3-3 Mountain WestConference) fell out of bowl contention when they were beaten byColorado State on Nov. 2.

Nevertheless, the disappointing record hasn’t been enough to stopBYU and its fans from honoring their old coach. Before Saturday’sgame, the university officially changed the name of its stadium toLaVell Edwards Stadium.

“When I think of LaVell, I think about the coach who has done somuch for football in the western United States,” said CSU head coachSonny Lubick. “He’s still going out on top, because one bad year doesnot make a career.”

On Saturday, the Cougars will play in-state rival Utah in Edwards’swan song. The Utes won last year’s game 20-17.

So how does Edwards see this matchup playing out?

“It’s going to be a fitting climax to my career,” he said. “It’sbeen an interesting rivalry and this will be played for braggingrights. It’s going to be a good one and we’re looking forward to it.”

Colorado State

CSU clinched the MWC title last Thursday with its 37-13 hammeringof Wyoming. The Rams (9-2, 6-1 MWC) will next face Conference USAChampion Louisville in the Liberty Bowl. The game will be played inMemphis, Tenn. on Dec. 29 and can be seen on ESPN at 2:30 p.m. (PST)

While Lubick said he and Cardinals head coach John L. Smith haveyet to make a friendly wager on the game, he didn’t rule it out.

Said Lubick: “They’ve got all that good whiskey down there, somaybe we could bet a bottle of that.”

New Mexico

The Lobos (5-7, 3-4 MWC) ended their once promising season lastSaturday with a 37-13 loss to BYU. They have now dropped threestraight.

“We had a rough end to this season, but I think we’ve made someprogress in the program,” said head coach Rocky Long. “We’re a betterfootball team than we were last year, and we have quite a few playerscoming back.”

Players of the Week

Offensive: Qualario Brown, Air Force, HB

The often-injured senior ran for 140 yards and three touchdowns inthe Falcons’ 45-24 triumph over SDSU.

Defensive: Justin Gallimore, CSU, CB

The junior notched eight tackles and a 63-yard interception returnfor touchdown in the Rams’ 37-13 thrashing of Wyoming.

Special teams: Owen Pochman, BYU, K

The senior nailed three field goals, including a 56-yarder, in theCougars’ 37-13 pasting of New Mexico.

Edwards’ Swan Song at Center Stage