No Rush to Redemption

By David CorderoSports Editor

Saturday is Senior Night at Qualcomm Stadium, an evening where SanDiego State’s 11 upperclassmen will be honored in a pregame ceremony.But more than the recognition they will receive, what would satisfythe SDSU players the most is to know their opponent would spend theholidays the same way the Aztecs will — with no bowl game to preparefor.

Said senior Brian Russell: “If we can knock them out, then all thebetter.”

If UNLV, which stands at 5-5, wins its next two games — against SDSUand Hawaii — it would earn a bid to the Las Vegas Bowl.

Sound familiar?

Last year, the Aztecs were 4-6 entering their final regular seasongame vs. Wyoming. If the Cowboys would have won, they would havegrabbed a share of the Mountain West Conference title and a likelybowl berth.

What happened?

They went into Qualcomm Stadium and laid an egg, getting trouncedby SDSU, 39-7.

Aztecs wide receiver J.R. Tolver said he’d like to see historyrepeat itself.

“There’s a big incentive for us to win this one,” he said. “Anychance you can dash anybody’s hopes, it’s good, because people try todo that to us all the time.”

To leave the contest victorious, SDSU will need a return of whatwas once a strong run defense. Last weekend, the team entered the AirForce contest the No. 2 rushing defense in the MWC. After yielding418 yards to the No. 1 rushing offense in the conference, the Aztecsfind themselves No. 5 (151.1 yards per game).

“It was a really humbling experience,” Russell said. “We have toprepare better. As much as we prepared last time, we fell short. Wehave to know what they do well and how to stop it.”

It’s not difficult to figure out what UNLV does well. The Rebelshave the second-best rushing offense in the MWC and feature three ofthe top eight runners in Jeremy Rudolph (No. 2, 78.2 ypg), KevinSmith (No. 6, 63.8) and Jason Thomas (No. 8, 51.8). What will bedifficult to do is to stop it — which UNLV head coach John Robinsonis confident won’t happen.

“We’ve been effective all year,” Robinson said. “I think we’llmove the ball on the ground.”

While the Rebels possess a potent attack, they run a pro-styleoffense — quite different from the triple option of Air Force. Soyou won’t see 73 rushing plays or fullback dives up the middle or anoption to the weakside.

You will see a more comfortable SDSU defense.

“Their offense is more the type we see week in and week out,” saidAztecs linebackers coach Charlie Camp. “But they’re playing well, soit’ll be a challenge.”

Although UNLV is successful with the rush, it has been susceptibleto it also, allowing 156.7 yards per game. That should bode well forSDSU, which has struggled on the ground, averaging a measly 76.4yards per contest. There’s a strong possibility sophomore GarricSimmons will see the majority of snaps at running back because juniorJames Truvillion reaggravated his injured neck in last week’s game.

With the lack of production on the ground, the Aztecs have becomea high-flying attack, with the leading men being quarterback LonSheriff and wide receivers J.R. Tolver and Derrick Lewis.

Sheriff was effective for much of the Air Force game, throwing for269 yards and two touchdowns. Lewis, ever the deep threat, posted acareer-high 138 yards that game, including receptions of 50 and 47yards. Tolver chipped in six catches, one that went for his firsttouchdown of the season.

However, the Rebels counter with cornerback Kevin Thomas, who hastwo interceptions, and leads the league with 15 passes defended.

“He’s got great speed and footwork,”

Tolver said. “It’s going to be a test.”

Perhaps more important than winning the final game for the seniorsor ruining an opponent’s season is the simple fact of remembering whyyou play football. SDSU head coach Ted Tollner said the game shouldbe played for one reason.

Pride.

“You play this game because you love to compete,” Tollner said.”That’s what you play for. If you’re a competitor, you’re going toplay your ass off. You play hard every time you match up becausesomeone on the other side is trying to keep you from doing whatyou’re trying to do.”

No Rush to Redemption