Students Bring Full Hands, Hearts Totijuana

They went there with the best of intentions — 12 girls withgenerous hearts, stepped outside of their cars, and were greeted by aswarm of children, smiling and grasping for hands.

The scene was familiar. A pathway up to the house was decoratedwith potted plants and flowers, some tattered and broken. The suncast shadows on the stained, stucco walls of the house perched upon agrassless hill and uneven ground.

It’s a dreamworld by no means: But they come for the children.

Two weeks ago, the Association of Chicana Activists, rolled up tothe front walkway of the Hogar Infantil La Gloria: an orphanage inTijuana.

Twice a year, A.Ch.A crosses the border to bring necessities suchas shampoo and toothpaste to the 59 children who live in theorphanage.

“The first time, the kids wouldn’t come up to me,” said DeniseCampos, political science and Chicano studies senior. “Now they do. Ithink they need to have someone who comes back and recognizes them.”

“It’s sad, I cried the first time. These are some of the luckierones, they get visitors. It is more emotional than material. It’senriching, you realize how lucky you are.”

A.Ch.A usually ask the children what they want them to bring themeach visit. This time, it was pancake mix.

Through fundraisers, A.Ch.A raises money to purchase the items.This time, Delta Upsilon fraternity donated 49.6 pounds of goods.

“I donated on behalf of my fraternity,” said business senior DarinClayton, fraternity member. “I’m from the Bay Area, and I convincedmy mom to donate. She works for a dentist. She collected lotions andshampoos sent it all down.”

“It’s sad to hear that toothbrushes and tooth paste are a luxury.Kids and poverty is sad.”

Poverty is rampant in Mexico, so much, that the orphanage dependsgreatly on Americans and other organizations. The orphanage has beenin existence for more than 25 years and has survived with the helpand donations from American churches and private organizations.

“We buy what we can afford and tell people at our work that we arecoming down here,” said Arthur and Carmen Bribiesca from San Lorenzo,Calif. “This is our fourth visit. We try to come once a year aroundthe holiday. We want to help and do what we can.”

The children, from newborns to 15-year-olds, were brought to theorphanage by the DIF Mexican Government, an agency similar to theUnited States’ Child Protective Services. The children have beeneither abandoned or abused by their parents, Carmen said.

“Their parents never bring them,” said Guadalupe*, the woman incharge of the orphanage. “But they can receive permits to come visittheir children. Parents can also give permission for the children tobe adopted by other families.”

The children are almost always adopted by families from Mexico andthe United States; but mostly by U.S. families.

“Just spending time with them makes a difference,” said politicalscience freshman Mayra Celis. “It’s a way of telling them there arepeople (who) care.”

A glimpse into their world

Dirty white walls with blue trim, and bars on the window are thefirst noticeable things about the building. A musty odor permeatesthe building.

The orphanage is U-shaped, with an cement quad in the middle. Theopening at the end leads up a hill to a humble playground were soundsof children playing filter from well-used swing sets, bars, and awooden jungle gym. The rooms are narrow, only six blue plastic picnictables adorn the kitchen.

The children’s bedrooms are filled with ten bunk beds each, allwith matching yellow, flowered comforters. Sounds of girls singingN’Sync’s “Bye,Bye,Bye” emanate from one room.

Across the quad, another door leads to the nursery, which reveals12 cribs, six on each side of the room. Little mobiles spin from eachcrib. At the end of the room, a stain glass window illuminates theroom. The design is a cross and under it is a hospital bed where apermanently bed-ridden boy lays silently.

Helping hand

A.Ch.A isn’t the only group on campus that travels to Mexico tolend a helping hand.

Heart Prints, another student organization on campus, ventures toa women’s home in Tijuana. They will be returning to the women’s homeDec. 13 for a Christmas Party and will be taking food, sweets, andgifts donated by the students.

“Heart Prints is based on a poem a student wrote,” said Jes