Students Step up to the Plate

By Elizabeth ValenteStaff Writer

Everyone wants their voice to be heard.

The California State Student Association, CSU’s studentrepresentative group, has created a proposal that will allow allstudents, not just elected representatives, to have just that.

It’s called shared governance, and would mandate that all 23 CSUcampuses ensure there is student involvement in all CSU policymaking.

San Diego State University’s Associated Students has taken astance to support the proposal that CSSA had in the works for thepast two years. Now, the next step is for CSU Chancellor Charles Reedto decide whether he adopts the idea of shared governance.

According to the Shared Responsibility proposal, its goal is to”(enhance) institutional effectiveness by encouraging studentparticipation in CSU policymaking.”

Because so much time and money is invested in college, EulizaMahinan, the A.S. vice president of external affairs, said it’simportant for students to have an understanding of what goes on withthe university.

“It’s only fair for the students to have the opportunity and theability to voice their opinion about what’s surrounding (them),”Mahinan said.

Mahinan said students at SDSU have a good relationship withadministrators and faculty and there is already a high level ofstudent involvement. Many of the university committees have at leastone student representative. A.S. appoints different students to thecommittees each year.

The proposal, however, would assure student participation.

The policy would make it mandatory for administrators to considerstudent views regarding the criteria, hiring, evaluation(s), andconduct of faculty, staff, administrators and other employees.

Jim Kitchen, vice president of academic affairs, said sharedgovernance already exists at SDSU because of the involvement andstrength of A.S., but he did note that there’s always room forimprovement.

However, he said he does have some problems with CSSA’s proposal.

“I don’t really agree with the terminology ‘mandate’,” he said.”It minimizes, and in some respects, maximizes what one can andcannot do.”

And while Kitchen said students need to have a “strong voice inmatters relating to the University,” the ultimate decisions do notlie with the students, but with University President Stephen Weber.

Ethan Singer, associate vice president for student affairs, saidwhen soliciting input from students, any level of participation isappropriate, although he had some concerns with the proposal.

“My most significant concern is that students tend to have a veryshort-term perspective, a short time horizon,” Singer said.

As an example of that, Singer cited, that student organizationsare opposed to raising fees if it does not immediately benefit them.

“Faculty and staff are accountable for the decisions and will behere to be accountable,” Singer said. “Students are not accountable.They will voice their opinion, they will vote on something and theyare gone.”

However, A.S. President Jason Rollingson said that students areactually very capable of making responsible decisions.

“In history, students have often been the ones to make change,”Rollingson said. “Last time I checked, the reason we have faculty andstaff is because of students, and we are able to offer a lot more tothis university than just the four years we are here.”

The decision now lies with the Chancellor. A deadline for thedecision is unknown.

Students Step up to the Plate