Thethin Red Line

Injuries to LaMonda, Williams trigger frontline juggling act

By Michael KlitzingStaff Writer

Editor’s note: This is the third of a five-part seriesspotlighting one of several key Aztecs who was lost for the seasonbecause of injury.

Atthe onset, things looked promising.

Despite having only one returning starter and losing All-Americancenter Mike Malano to the NFL, the San Diego State offensive lineactually resembled an experienced unit. As Mike Houghton returned tofill the tackle position, experienced backup Zach LaMonda was slatedto replace Malano. The junior had spent two seasons as a reserve andappeared ready to step into the starting role.

ChrisWilliams was expected play tackle alongside Lamonda. The 6-foot-5inch, 305-pound senior from Escondido was the only senior on the lineand had three years as a backup under his belt.

“They were our leaders coming into this year and we expected themto fill starting roles,” said SDSU offensive line coach DamonBaldwin. “Chris had been around for five years and Zach was the guywe had groomed to replace Malano.”

It didn’t take long for everything to fall apart.

On Aug. 12, the third day of practice, LaMonda was participatingin drills during the morning session. In what was to become his finalpractice of the season, LaMonda had a defensive player blockeddirectly into his leg, causing ligament and bone damage in his foot.Despite hearing a pop, he initially believed he could walk it off.

“I wanted our trainer Gary Johnson to tape it up,” LaMonda said.”I tried to put pressure on it but I couldn’t. It was all downhillfrom there.”

Screws were inserted into his foot. His season was finished.

Thus commenced the juggling act. The loss of Lamonda wascompounded by injuries to backups David Mayhew and Raul Gomez. TheAztecs were without a center. Baldwin was forced to move Houghtonfrom tackle to fill the position. While the move was a necessity, ittook Houghton away from his natural position and thrust him into anunfamiliar role.

“I had never played center before, so I was stressed out about itfor a while,” Houghton said. “It was rough, but you have to do whatyou have to do to help the team.”

But that was only the beginning. SDSU’s line was dealt anothercrippling blow in the fourth quarter of the Aug. 31 game againstArizona State.

Williams, making his first start, was pass blocking when a playerfell on his straightened leg. It was the last play of his collegefootball career.

“I heard a big pop when my right leg rolled up under the pile,”Williams said. “I pretty much knew my season was over right when ithappened.”

So much for resembling an experienced unit. After just threecomplete quarters of the 2000 season, the line was in disarray. Theinstability proved to be as big a factor as any in the Aztecs’early-season offensive struggles.

“We lost a lot of experience and had to adjust our whole line,”said SDSU head coach Ted Tollner. “We just had a hard time beingconsistent with the same starting five.”

The juggling of the line continued early on as Chester Pitts,Mayhew and John Ingram also missed significant time because ofinjuries and personal reasons. Baldwin said the improved play overthe past three weeks is a result of being able to send out the samefive starters each game.

“We’ve been able to solidify the past three weeks because we’replaying with the same guys,” Baldwin said. “When guys get juggled tonew positions, they’re going to be second-guessing everything becausethey have never played that position before. It makes them a littlemore hesitant.”

For LaMonda, this year has been hard to watch. His dashed hopesfor his junior season only intensified the agony of his injury.

“I was expecting to start and take us to a bowl game,” he said.”It looked like we were all coming together nicely in the summerworkouts. When I went down, it broke my heart because I felt like Iwas letting the whole team down.”

LaMonda is now faced with a long road in order to be ready fornext season. He had surgery Wednesday to remove the screws from hisfoot and is now facing three to four months of rehabilitation beforehe is expected to practice again.

But Williams is faced with an even harsher reality. He has beenrelegated to watching his senior season from the sidelines knowing hehas played his last down. Williams will not apply for a medicalredshirt as he will graduate this May.

“It’s a horrible feeling,” Williams said. “Not being able to bethere with them during the BYU game and then last week (vs. NewMexico) and share in that feeling is tough.”

This season has been tough on most who dawn the red and black. Theline woes are a microcosm of the fate that has befallen the entireteam.

“What has happened to this team this year is something I havenever seen before,” Baldwin said. “Not just on the line, buteverywhere. It’s been unbelievable.”

Thethin Red Line