Time for Aztecs to ‘show Me’ in Tournament

By Jared QuientSenior Staff Writer

Missouri is known as the “Show Me State.” When San Diego Statetravels to Columbia, Missouri for the Lady Tiger Classic thisweekend, it will be time for them to do just that.

SDSU will continue its four-game road trip when it competes in theLady Tiger Classic this weekend.

The team is fresh off a win over Portland State Tuesday night.Tanisha Knight led the way for the Aztecs, scoring 17 points in the53-50 win. She was supported by Atim Otii, who chipped in 12 pointsin SDSU’s first road win of the season. Jamey Cox, the Aztecs’leading scorer thus far, was held scoreless for the first time in hercareer last night, and it forced everyone around her to step up.

“We’ve had trouble the last two seasons winning on the road,” saidSDSU head coach Barb Smith. “But we were determined to get the monkeyoff our back and we decided we were going to do it here tonight.”

SDSU trailed 28-25 at the half, but went on an 11-2 run during thesecond half to pull ahead for the first time since the early minutesof the game. PSU did not go down easy. Although their deficit climbedto seven at one point, the Vikings clawed their way back into thegame, pulling within one point during the final minute. Otii sealedthe deal with two free throws with 10 seconds left.

“We didn’t play a very good first half,” Smith said. “We didn’tscore very well and our defense was not working, but we made someadjustments at halftime and did a much better job. We were very toughdown the stretch, especially on the offensive glass.”

The Aztecs won’t celebrate too long, as they head to Missouri forFriday’s opening round game. Joining SDSU in the tournament arefirst-round opponents Alcorn State, David Lipscomb and host Missouri.

SDSU opens up the tournament facing Alcorn State. A win there willmost likely set up a game against the host Tigers. The memories hereare not so sweet for the Aztecs; in last year’s game Missouri routedthem, forcing 36 turnovers including an absurd 27 steals.

SDSU came into the season with high hopes and optimism, but havestruggled somewhat from the outset. It has lost three of its firstfive games and are looking for a spark.

After losing its opening two games by 10 points, SDSU picked upits first victory of the season in the semifinal game of its ownThanksgiving tournament by beating Illinois State 88-59.

THIS WEEKEND

What: Lady Tiger Classic

Who: SDSU, Alcorn State, David Lipscomb and Missouri

Where: Columbia, Mo.

When: Fri., 6 p.m.; Sat., TBA

Opponents’ Update: Missouri is hoping to regain its momentum afterpicking up its first loss of the season this week. After opening upits nonconference games with three straight wins, the Lady Tigerslost to Pepperdine 69-68 in the championship game of the PepperdineClassic. Senior Amanda Lassiter kept Missouri in the game, scoring 13points and grabbing a team-high nine rebounds. Her performance wasgood enough to be selected to the all-tournament team. The LadyTigers had their worst shooting performance of the short season,making 43 percent of their field goals, just short of what was neededfor victory. Fouls and turnovers led to Missouri’s demise, as theWaves capitalized from the free throw line, scoring 24 points fromthe charity stripe.