Team of the Semester

Mark Warner should be a part of the Psychic Friends Network.

Before the 2000 season began, Warner, head coach of San DiegoState’s women’s volleyball team, predicted an 18-win season. Itseemed a lofty goal considering that the team had won just 16 matchesin the last two years.

The team had confidence in itself, though, and came through.

“We never stopped believing,” said senior Monet Solberg.

The season got off to a rocky start with four consecutive losses,three to Top 25 teams. Undaunted, SDSU rebounded to win two of fourat the Nike Conference Challenge, then swept the Cornell Invitationalthe following weekend.

The Aztecs hit another rough stretch, dropping three of their nextfour matches and fell to 6-9 on the season. From there, things tookoff.

SDSU won 11 of its next 14 matches to find itself 17-

12 with a 9-5 conference mark going into the Mountain WestConference Tournament.

The biggest win of the season came on Oct. 21 in Peterson Gym.Still winless against ranked opponents, the Aztecs faced Utah, thenranked No. 18 in the nation.

SDSU fell behind two games to one and were one point fromelimination in the fourth game. Trailing 14-9, the Aztecs heldnothing back, laying everything they had on the court to steal avictory from the jaws of defeat.

Energized by the upset win, SDSU went on to win four of its finalfive conference matches. The lone loss was to No. 5 Colorado State,which had to overcome a two-games-to-none deficit to topple thetenacious Aztecs.

The team’s depth, as well the rare ability to stay healthy allyear, allowed it to reach the semifinals of the conferencetournament.

Although the Aztecs fell short in their quest for an NCAA bid,with the members’ youth and desire they should only get closer.

— JOEL SARTAN

Team of the Semester