Students engage in Grassroots Campaigning

Some instructors make political experience a requirement for their courses, while politicians look for it when hiring By Lydia Osolinsky, Senior Staff WriterWith less than a month remaining before America goes to the pollsand decides who will run the country, San Diego State students areputting on their walking shoes and clearing their schedules to helpget their candidate into office.

For many of these students, the grassroots campaigning they havedone this season has been their first glimpse into the actualelection process.

“I don’t know how much of a difference I will make, but as thedays go on I get more and more optimistic,” political science andwomen’s studies senior Brianna Pittman said after returning from herfirst day of volunteering for Unity San Diego Women’s Vote.

Pittman walked door-to-door along with SDSU alumna Lori Jones,speaking to voters. Jones, who has worked on many past campaigns,felt her efforts were worthwhile.

“You’re right there, and your shoes are messed up and you’re burntout, but when you knock on the door, people tell you that they’reglad you’re out here,” Jones said. “It’s a very positive thing.”

Indeed, some SDSU instructors feel so strongly about politicalinvolvement they have made campaign internships a requirement forthose enrolled in their courses.

“Students are left with an invaluable experience, something Ican’t teach in the classroom,” political science associate professorCarole Kennedy said.

The belief that citizen participation is a requirement fordemocracy to function and the overwhelmingly positive response shereceived from last semester’s students encouraged her to continue therequirement, she said.

“The wheeling, the dealing, the sign placing, the sign stealing,”Kennedy said, “can be very exciting, exhilarating, stressful and verymeaningful for the people who have devoted themselves to running forthese political offices.”

And campaign experience can be a springboard for those interestedin pursuing a career in politics.

Jim Alford, the lead organizer for USDWV, began his career workingon a campaign as a student and acknowledges politicians look forthose with experience when hiring.

“If they’re weighing applicants for a specific job and (theapplicants) are equal in their policy skills but one has campaignskills, they’d be a fool not to take the campaign-skilled person,”Alford said.

While finding time in their schedules to walk the streets or stuffenvelopes for candidates is not a possibility for some, others havefound ways to blend their political work with their outside lives.

Social science senior Alison Bell, who has been campaigning forthe Republican Party in San Diego, often takes her husband and7-month-old daughter along on campaign walks.

“The whole thing with Republicans and conservatives is familyvalues, and sometimes when people see a family and a baby at theirdoor, it breaks the ice,” she said.

Jennifer Strange, a political science and criminal justice senior,decided to join the Scott Peters’ campaign as a way to learn aboutthe inner-workings of politics and has been surprised with theemphasis put on seemingly minor details.

“You always see candidates on TV, but you never think about themhaving to call people to see if they want yard signs,” she said.

Her experience with the campaign has left her with a new foundrespect for local politics, she said.

“This is what really affects your city and your daily life,”Strange said. “This is your chance to change it.”

And students are not limited in the tasks they perform.

Political science senior Andi Bortoletto said working on theShirley Horton campaign has been fulfilling because “every day isdifferent,” but she especially enjoys work that allows her to havedirect contact with the voters.

“You develop a sense of closeness with people over the phone,”Bortoletto said. “Of course you get hung up on and people don’t wantto talk to you, but then there’s also people who thank you forcalling and it’s rewarding.” As the elections come down to the wire,those running the campaigns are increasingly appreciative of the timeand effort interns volunteer.

“Everyone is here because they want to be and the students are notjust smart, but enthusiastic and competent,” Terry McComas, campaignmanager for Peters, said. “I continue to learn from our students.”