Success a no show in trip to Nor Cal

Chris Moon

The San Diego State men’s soccer team went into its weekend trip to NorCal with hopes of garnering a couple of victories and getting its season traveling in the right direction. However, it was not to be, as SDSU lost both games on the road and saw its record drop to a dismal 2-10-1.

The Aztecs took on Sacramento State Friday, and were put in the hole right away as Hornet Ryan Rhoads chipped in a goal seven minutes into the game. SDSU tried to come back, but could not make anything happen. The Hornets put the nail in the coffin in the 83rd minute with a goal by Andrew Tamm.

The goal by Tamm would only prove to be insurance for Sac State, as it won the game by a final of 2-0.

The Aztecs went into Sunday’s game against San Jose State with hopes of salvaging something from the road trip, but that wouldn’t be the case, as the Spartans beat SDSU 2-0.

The first half was scoreless but SJSU steppedup in the second half and chipped in two unanswered goals to win the game. The first goal was knocked in by Marvin Sorto in the 68th minute and was shortly followed by a by a Jose Flores in the 70th minute.

The two losses dropped SDSU to sixth place in the seven-team Mountain Pacific Sports Federation. The Aztecs will have to cover some major ground to get out of the cellar and climb to a post-season tournament birth.

SDSU is hoping a trip home will have a positive correlation with its win-loss record, as it is gearing up for a three-game home stand set to begin Sunday.

The first game will be a major test for the team, as it will be taking on league-leading New Mexico, who currently boasts a 10-1 record and an intimidating national ranking of No. 3. The game will be 1 p.m. Sunday on the SDSU Sports Deck.

Success a no show in trip to Nor Cal