AIDS is everybody’s disease

She’s young, beautiful, strong, full of energy and HIV-positive. You can’t tell by looking at her, and it’s quite likely she’s unaware of it as well.

If you’re a guy, imagine yourself at the end of a great night, and the “heat of the moment” decision has to be made – condom or no condom? She’s only had one sexual partner, and you both assume the risk is low for catching any diseases.

The verdict? No condom.

Little did either of you know that the one partner she’s had sex with was cheating on her with someone who was HIV-positive. She’s infected with the virus, and as soon as the night is over, you probably will be too.

A single bad decision will affect the rest of your life – this is the reality of HIV.

Heterosexual women are the fastest growing high-risk group for HIV/AIDS in the United States and worldwide. In 1985, women represented 7 percent of American HIV/AIDS patients; by 2003, women comprised 27 percent of all U.S. cases, and the number of infected women is still growing, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Unfortunately, while the incidents of women contracting HIV are increasing, the current generation of young adults fails to recognize the disease. Idealistic, youthful attitudes blind this age group from seeing the reality of HIV and AIDS.

Things were different in the 1980s when the disease first became prevalent, and people were forced to witness friends and family members fall ill and die from infectious disease caused by AIDS because of the lack of antiretroviral medications. Today’s drugs enable those who are HIV-positive to appear active and healthy for a much longer period of time, but the reality is the syndrome will most likely kill them.

There is still no cure.

People need to know the facts, face reality, protect themselves and spread the truth. A new event – the National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – will occur for the first time on March 10. The aim of the observance is to alert and encourage women to discuss HIV and AIDS.

“The key message we want to communicate is that HIV is a women’s issue,” said Toni Young, director of Community Education Group, of its participation in the event.

HIV and AIDS is everyone’s issue. The numbers and factors that defined high-risk groups when the disease first emerged are beginning to blur. The days of HIV being limited to homosexual men, intravenous drug users and prostitutes are over. Today, each of these groups represent a much smaller proportion of the overall population than heterosexual women.

As of 2000, women represented 50.9 percent of the U.S. population, according to quickfacts.census.gov. This means that more than half of all Americans are considered to be at high risk for HIV.

Moreover, men need to face this reality and take responsibility for preventing the spread of HIV and make health-conscious decisions. Women need to defend themselves from contracting the disease in the first place; the CDC reports that 71 percent of women are infected with HIV through heterosexual sex. Women are being infected because they are the victims of rape, prostitution, infidelity and dependence on their male partner.

Sexual inequality is killing women.

It’s up to our generation to make the change. Know the sexual history of your partners, and the next time you find yourself in the “heat of the moment,” use a condom – it may save your life. If you do something risky such as having unprotected sex, get tested for HIV immediately – and get re-tested six months later. Be responsible: disclose your results if it’s necessary.

In observance of Friday’s National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, consider your sexual health by getting tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. This can only help slow the spread of HIV and STDs and encourage others to use appropriate prevention methods.

Most importantly, face reality. High-risk groups are larger than they once were.

Promote the truth and protect yourself.

-Jessica Napier is a pre-journalism sophomore and a staff columnist for The Daily Aztec.

-This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec. Send e-mail to letters@thedailyaztec.com. Anonymous letters will not be printed – include your full name, major and year in school.

AIDS is everybody’s disease