Competitors focus on student involvement

Ben Tambaschi, Asst. Opinion Editor

Campaign signs throughout San Diego State are evidence that the Associated Students elections are right around the corner.

For many students, however, those campaign posters – marked by bold colors and catchy phrases – are nothing more than names.

Faces were put to those names yesterday when candidates introduced themselves and their platforms to those in attendance on the Aztec Center Outdoor Patio.

Contenders for spots on the A.S. Executive Board pushed their agendas and discussed their qualifications for leading the student body.

Presidential candidates, business management junior Daniel Goldberg, public administration junior Andrew Roy and finance junior Matt Keipper, addressed a number of issues including the changing face of the SDSU campus.

All candidates listed increased student involvement as a top priority.

Goldberg said he would address the Paseo project and promote more student input.

“It’s been more than 10 years and (the Paseo) should really be resolved,” Goldberg said. “We need to have input in what stores they will put in there because we don’t want them putting in stores that we don’t need.”

Goldberg also recommended having more concerts at Open Air Theatre. He said that although he has not been to a concert in the theatre, it is a great venue that should be utilized more.

Roy, who is currently A.S.’ InterFraternity Council representative, said he would like to increase student involvement to foster pride on campus.

“I want to work with the Aztec Empire and bring student pride to a new level,” Roy said.

Revamping the president’s cabinet and increasing the free-flowing access of student opinions would also increase campus participation, he said.

“We need to give students a larger constituency to get out their issues,” Roy said. “This way they can address different topics on campus and have their voices heard as one large group.”

Keipper, who is currently the A.S. vice president of finance, agreed that the importance of improving student services at SDSU is vital to students having a voice. Keipper discussed his plans to alleviate current problems with crashing classes.

“I think it is very feasible,” Keipper said. “It’s just another way I can help this (campus) become a better university.”

Keipper said his current position on A.S. gives him an edge against competitors.

“I know how we allocate money and the internal workings of A.S.,” Keipper said. “If elected, I’ll have virtually no turnover and will be able to work on my platform right away.”

A.S. President Chris Manigault said that overall the candidates did a good job addressing their platforms and discussing the changes they want to see on campus. He said many of the candidates’ goals are feasible.

“They might not get all those things done next year,” Manigault said, “but they will leave a nice footpath for the future.”

He said a good president should not just be looking at what’s going on right now but also what’s to come.

Presidency platforms often change once a person assumes the position, he said.

“You have to go through a transitioning process of really understanding what a president does,” Manigault said. “You see that you need certain things before you can move ahead.”