Have you had your (fast) break today?

Bob Geoghan didn’t want just a list of the best high school basketball players in the country. He wanted them on teams playing each other so fans could get a sneak peak into the future of the game right before their eyes.

And when he was able to partner with McDonald’s for a cause beyond basketball, Geoghan formed an event that has come a long way since its inception in 1977: The McDonald’s All-American High School Basketball Games.

“I wanted to see the best guards in the East play the best guards in the West, just like I wanted to see the best big men in the East play the best big men in the West,” said Geoghan, who began with the Capital Classic, using players from the Washington D.C. area. “Once McDonald’s got into it and we saw the potential for the (Ronald McDonald House Charities), I was very excited.”

Now, the games are coming to San Diego, making their first appearance on the West Coast since 1984. Beginning at 7 p.m. tonight with the Powerade Jam Fest – a 3-point and slam dunk contest – continuing with the boys’ and girls’ games on Wednesday (4:30 p.m. girls, 7 p.m. boys), the best prep players in the nation will be on Montezuma Mesa.

And the process to bring the events to San Diego began about a year and half ago.

“I put together an agenda for the committee so that it could meet Tony Gwynn, mayor Jerry Sanders and Phil Mickelson,” games chairman Philip Palumbo said. “It was a combined effort that turned out to be very successful.”

All proceeds of the event will go toward the local Ronald McDonald House, with fees for usage of Cox Arena and Peterson Gym paid to Associated Students.

The games have historically been a showcase for some of the all-time basketball greats. From Earvin “Magic” Johnson to Michael Jordan to Shaquille O’Neal, players in this game seem to shine in the professional ranks.

The boys and girls squads are split into East and West teams. This year, the lone local San Diego representative is Chase Budinger from La Costa Canyon High School (Carlsbad, Calif.)

“Ever since I was a kid, I dreamt about doing this,” said Budinger, who’s committed to the Arizona Wildcats. “This is a huge deal to me.”

Budinger said he’s well aware of the players who have participated in years past, ones who have helped make Geoghan’s vision a reality.

And Budinger said he won’t back down in representing San Diego.

“It’s a role I want,” Budinger said. “Hopefully, I’ll play well in the games to make the city proud.”

Have you had your (fast) break today?