City councilman speaks on past and presidency

Glenn Connelly, Staff Photographer

He ate pasta and garlic bread almost exclusively from West Commons.

After his usual meal, he could be found on the fourth floor of the Malcolm A. Love Library, browsing selections from the required reading list of his political science class.

In 1985, San Diego City Councilman Kevin Faulconer thought life as a college student at San Diego State couldn’t get any better.

Growing up in Ventura County, Calif., Faulconer often visited family friends in San Diego.

After graduating from Oxnard High School, he knew America’s Finest City was where he wanted to be.

He applied and was accepted – not knowing how his time at SDSU would shape his future.

As a freshman, Faulconer lived in red-bricked Olmeca Hall.

“Living in the residence halls was a great way to meet people,” Faulconer said. “You live with people from all walks of life.

“Several of the people I met back then are still some of my closest friends today.”

He enjoyed living in the residence halls so much that he eventually joined the Residence Hall Association as a desk assistant later in his freshman year. During his sophomore year, he served as operations chairman.

But that was only the beginning of his involvement at SDSU.

By the end of his sophomore year, he had his sights set on a spot in Associated Students.

Faulconer, who was a political science major and English minor, said he always took an interest in governmental issues. He said his professors only helped to foster his passion.

“The department had a really diverse spectrum of professors, from the conservatives to the liberals,” Faulconer said. “It was always really nice to see those viewpoints and enter into debates and discussions about different issues.”

He decided to run for A.S. executive vice president for the 1987 academic year.

“The first time I ran for office, I lost,” Faulconer said. “In college you learn those life experiences that you’ll always take with you.

“You learn about success, and you learn about failure, too.”

He said he learned from that loss and tried again the following year – this time running for vice president of finance.

Faulconer was elected and was instrumental in handling the $7.5 million budget.

“Running the corporation and having the opportunity to work with budgeting capital expenditures was so beneficial to me, both then and now.” Faulconer said.

As a fifth-year senior following his term as vice president of finance, Faulconer was elected 1989 A.S. president.

His time on the council would shape the face of his career and this campus.

“Being involved on the council, I learned life lessons about working with people and problems,” Faulconer said. “I learned how to handle different issues and examine the different sides of those issues.

“I’m still learning things in this job – trust me, I haven’t learned it all. But long council meetings on contentious issues and working toward a compromise – that’s what I do.”

Faulconer was instrumental in the construction of Cox Arena and the Aztec Recreation Center.

“I remember testifying to the board of trustees at the time, trying to get them to allow us to move forward with Cox Arena. I even remember the students who didn’t want to pay for it.

“But I was very supportive of building it because I knew this was something we wanted to do. If we’re not going to do it, then the state’s not going to do it. So let’s do this for us.

“We voted for (Cox Arena and the ARC) knowing that most of us were never going to use it,” Faulconer said. “But at the same time, we were beneficiaries of students before us who voted for Aztec Center and got us that.”

He said as an alumnus he is able to look back at his campus with pride. He has enjoyed watching several basketball games in Cox Arena and has used the amenities of the ARC.

“Students need to remember to enjoy their time at SDSU and take advantage of everything it has to offer,” Faulconer said. “But they shouldn’t forget to give back to a university that has given them so much.

“I love it when students today still look around campus and say, ‘Hey, what can we do to make this a better place?'”