Father, son duo team up for new rap record

On appearance alone it would be safe to assume I don’t listen to rap.

Although your assumption would be warranted, even those of us who mainly listen to hardcore music feel the need to embrace our inner gangster.

After listening to the current release from Birdman and Lil’ Wayne, “Like Father, Like Son,” the thug in me was satisfied – for the most part.

The duo from Cash Money Records represents a few of the overdone rap artists I will actually listen to, and I found the collaboration from father, Birdman, and son, Lil’ Wayne, somewhat pleasing.

The first single, “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy,” is an upbeat, danceable track that can be enjoyed by a wide array of listeners.

If the two rappers aren’t enough for you, the record also contains various collaborations with other artists, such as Rick Ross and T-Pain.

Also bestowed upon the release is the touch of creative genius via Scott Storch, who has produced many successful hit songs by various artists such as, Chris Brown, 50 Cent and Justin Timberlake.

Storch’s Midas touch can be felt on songs such as the title track, whose hook contains an uplifting guitar riff and reminds, “There’s no love, like the love of a father.”

There’s no limit to the bumpin’ tracks; however, the lyrics leave much to be desired. Birdman needs another poetry lesson because “Bacardi” and “Maserati” will never rhyme.

Another problem is the sampling of other artists’ lyrics, such as Lil’ Wayne’s use of a Notorious B.I.G. line, “Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay.”

These annoyances aren’t surprising seeing as the dominant purpose for mainstream rap today is to produce hits and supply dance tracks for clubs.

That being said, I rarely expect mainstream rap to contain prolific lyrics and proper structure. I prefer to rely on independent hip-hop artists who seem to provide more thought provoking lyrics.