News to Know

1. Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, famous for camping outside of President Bush’s Crawford, Texas, ranch to protest the conflict in Iraq, said she would run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in 2008 if Pelosi does not seek to impeach Bush by July 23.

2. Boeing unveiled its newest jumbo jet, the 787 Dreamliner outside its assembly plant in Everett, Wash., on July 8. It is the first commercial airplane made mostly of carbon-fiber composites.

3. BBC reporter Alan Johnson was freed on July 4 in the Gaza Strip after being captured by Islamic militants and held in solitary confinement for 16 weeks.

4. Four Islamic militants were convicted on July 9 of plotting to detonate bombs in London’s transit system. Their plot was to occur two weeks after the attacks on July 7, 2005, which killed 52 people in London.

5. Kent Couch, a gas station owner, flew 193 miles away from his home in Bend, Ore. – on a lawn chair attached to 105 helium balloons. Couch was destined for Idaho, but landed in Union, Ore. This was his second lawn chair flight.

6. Five people were killed and three were injured when a small plane crashed into a suburban Orlando neighborhood on July 10. The husband of a NASCAR executive was on board.

7. Zheng Xiaoyu, the former director of China’s food and drug agency, was executed on July 10 for approving the use of fake medicine in exchange for cash.

8. Lady Bird Johnson, wife of President Lyndon B. Johnson, died of natural causes at her home in Austin, Texas on July 11. The former first lady was 94 years old.

News to Know