Music teacher still inspiring

David J. Olender / Assitant Photo Editor

Merle E. Hogg, Ph.D is 85 years old and he’s taught music at San Diego State for more than 40 years. He’s been “retired” from full-time teaching since 1992.

But the biggest difference between his “full-time” teaching and his “retirement” is the benefits package.

Although he has more flexible hours now and teaches fewer classes, Hogg is as active as ever with the music department.

“Dr. Hogg still has passion and energy for passing on the knowledge and traditions of music at his age, something to be envied in someone half his age,” music professor Brent Dutton said.

Hogg (pronounced with a long “o”) still has the same love of music and performing that he developed as the son of an amateur musician in Lincoln, Kan. during the Great Depression.

Watching him pick up a trombone now, you can imagine the 11-year-old Hogg struggling to play the instrument his father bought for $15 from another farm family more than 70 years ago.

Hogg still participates in the on-campus orchestra and the jazz ensemble, and even with his wealth of experience after 56 years of teaching, he feels the need to practice his art regularly.

“With all these ensembles, I have to do a lot of practicing to keep up with these kids,” Hogg said.

“I have to sit there and practice arm movement, breathing exercises and embouchure [lip formation for brass players] exercises. But there’s so much in music I don’t know yet. I still have so much to conquer.”

Hogg has already conquered a health issue, thanks in part to his love of music. He had heart surgery and his cardiologist says trombone-playing is wonderful exercise for his lungs.

Even outside of music, Hogg stays active. He exercises and sometimes meets with a group of other retired professors, whether it’s for lunch or a trip to Santa Barbara.

“If you don’t do something to stimulate the brain, you’ll be a nothing,” Hogg said. “You’ll grow old and die so fast. I get my mind stimulated by association with my colleagues and participating in musical activities.”

Hogg’s continuing drive to see music students achieve success in their field was evident in his music department commencement address last year, filled with jokes and words of wisdom for the new graduates.

“It is a sense of personal satisfaction to watch you grow and mature as a person and as a musician and believe that I might have made one small contribution to your academic growth,” Hogg said in his address.

His quest for higher education and teaching in a university came at a price. His undergraduate years were lengthy because he needed to work many hours to pay for tuition and music lessons. Hogg had to save money for graduate school by interrupting his education and teaching music at a public school for a few years.

While at SDSU, he taught courses and also performed with the San Diego Symphony and the San Diego Opera Orchestra for 16 and a half years before giving that up to concentrate exclusively on teaching.

Discussing Hogg with music department faculty members or students elicits an instant smile, sometimes even a chuckle, and often a string of compliments and gratitude.

“Dr. Hogg has given over 40 years of service to SDSU in the music department,” Bill Yeager, director of Jazz Studies, said. “He’s been an inspiration to thousands of students and remains an inspiration today as an octogenarian.”

Hogg is teaching Comprehensive Musicianship this semester, which is similar to a music boot camp, with its demands of testing and training in skills needed to become a well-rounded musician.

Hogg and his students appear comfortable with one another only a few weeks into semester. He seasons his teaching with gentle humor and encouragement. Music education sophomores Patrick Yanni and Preston Kingsley already know Hogg very well, as he has personally instructed them on trombone and trumpet, enabling them to meet department audition or special ensemble performance needs.

“That’s pretty cool because nobody really gives free lessons,” Yanni said. “I think he just didn’t care about the money but wanted to help me get better so I could play better.”

Music teacher still inspiring