Walking for AIDS

On Sunday, there will be thousands of people walking in Balboa Park, participating in the biggest fundraising event of the year for HIV/AIDS in San Diego County.

AIDS Walk San Diego, a program of the San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center, combines the efforts of thousands of participants to provide vital financial assistance to dozens of agencies in San Diego that serve, treat and educate the public on HIV/AIDS issues.

To get involved, you can volunteer or register for the 5K walk or 10K run. Registered participants can either partake in the event with a team or as an individual. The registration fee for adults is $35. Official participants collect donations and pledge sheets from sponsors.

Patrick Loose, director of programs and operations of The Center, is inspired by the growing amount of college-aged participants taking an interest in the walk.

“It makes me hopeful to see the increasing number of young people,” he said. “Over the past few years, we (have seen) more school teams who volunteer their time to make this event happen. We are deeply appreciative of their efforts and inspired by their commitment.”

Criminal justice sophomore Pana Hap finds the walk to be a gratifying experience as well. Hap was inspired to participate in the event by her friend, who is currently fighting the disease.

“What’s most rewarding about participating in the walk is knowing that doing so will bring us another step closer to winning the battle against AIDS,” Hap said.

The people who participate in the event are as diverse as their reasons to take part in the event.

“Some walk to remember a friend or loved one they’ve lost to AIDS,” Loose said.

Walking for AIDS