Spring Break: A time to change the world

Andrew Huse / Assistant Photo Editor

t is a common misconception that Spring Break is all about alcohol consumption and bad decisions – but not every college student simply parties for nine straight days. On the contrary, Alternative Spring Breaks, or ASB, are becoming more and more popular each spring.

Places and projects to volunteer this spring are endless. Local organizations are constantly looking for San Diegans to donate any amount of time to keep the beaches clean, tutor students and help fundraise for disease research.

Right here at San Diego State, groups such as the Jewish Student Union-Hillel are planning an alternative Spring Break. They are going to Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands with other Hillel members from all over the country. They will explore the American and Jewish history of Washington, D.C., and in the Virgin Islands they will help build houses through Habitat for Humanity.

Habitat for Humanity is an international nonprofit organization that works to build homes and aid the less fortunate. It has programs to help rebuild the ruins of Hurricane Katrina, the recent Tsunami in Thailand and floods in Mexico.

Even popular television networks such as MTV are getting into the mix. ThinkMTV helped young people try to make an impact over Spring Break in 2006 by collaborating with United Way for a program called “Storm Corps.” The project included approximately 1,000 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 24 working together to rebuild the Gulf Coast after severe storms.

Aside from all of the abroad and overseas programs, there is still help needed locally, too. San Diego Habitat for Humanity helped rebuild homes for victims of San Diego’s wildfires back in 2003 and is once again looking for volunteers to help rebuild the damage from the most recent wildfires.

Volunteer San Diego has a plethora of opportunities to give back to San Diego’s communities. This independent nonprofit organization has hundreds of things for young people to do. During Spring Break, Volunteer San Diego is looking for people to help with the San Diego Indie Music Festival on March 29 and fundraising for San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy on April 1.

If science is your forte, the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair is looking for volunteers for one day or even up to every day of Spring Break, two hours per day, to help with child care, security, set up/clean up, etc. The fair will be held nearby at Balboa Park.

For outdoors lovers and hands-on activities, the Batiquitos Lagoon Foundation is looking for volunteers on April 5 to help with trail maintenance. Volunteers are scheduled to meet at the BLF Nature Center in Carlsbad at 9 a.m. and work for approximately three hours.

Whether you volunteer the entire week of Spring Break or for just a few hours, improving communities and the lives of people in need starts with minor contributions and can lead up to worldwide progress.

United Way has a list of “99 Ways to Help” on its Web site, ranging from simple and effortless to bold and courageous. For example, recycling or donating materials, food, money or even blood, are things that don’t take much effort or time.

On the other hand, you could spend your Spring Break getting involved with your community (and world). You could adopt an animal, write to your congressman to make positive changes in the community, or organize a fundraiser or car wash to raise money for causes such as cancer, lung disease or others.

-Kristina Peltin is a communication freshman.

-This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.