SWIMMING & DIVING: SDSU has tough MWC Championships

The San Diego State swimming and diving team was looking for closure.After a long four-month season, SDSU looked to cap off an outstanding year with great performances in the Mountain West Conference Championships held in Oklahoma City Wednesday through Saturday.Unfortunately for the Aztecs, an eighth place finish at the MWC Championships might not have been the ending they had hoped for.Finishing one spot higher than a year ago, and just one spot out of last place, SDSU was able to tally just 161 points. BYU took first place with a score of 763 points.Individually, however, the Aztecs fared much better. Senior Katie Smith placed in the top sixteen twice as she came in sixth in the 100-meter backstroke on Friday, and swam well enough to receive 14th place in the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 2:05.54. In the earlier qualifying rounds, Smith notched a time that was a half second faster than her final for her season best 2:05.04. Also in the 200-yard backstroke, teammate sophomore Kyla Power finished with a lifetime best time of 2:11.07.Sophomore Jessica Morrill also clocked a season best in the 200-meter backstroke B final, grabbing eighth place with a time of 2:22.27.The championships were a tough four days for SDSU, as the best finish was fifth place by platform diving sophomore Amy Freeberg, who jumped up from her previous finish of tenth, with a career high score of 207.05. Freeberg made the finals but the other Aztec divers could not, despite outstanding performances. Three SDSU divers will be competing March 13-15 in the NCAA Zone E Diving Regionals held at the Oklahoma City Community College Aquatic Center.