FOR YOUR EARS ONLY: What?s a ?Ting? anyways?

Daivd J. Olender / Photo Editor

If you’re skeptical of the name, you probably speak a dialect of Japanese. One variation of their name means “penis” when transliterated, which unfortunately doesn’t have anything to do with their style, unless male genital pop music is making its grand debut.

The Ting Tings, comprised of Katie White and Jules De Martino, entered on the indie pop party scene in England in 2006. They released the debut single, “That’s Not My Name,” in the same year.

The duo quickly moved from playing private parties with often-improvised lyrics and jam sessions to being picked up by major record label, Columbia Records. White primarily belts her disco-pop octaves in a British twang while her counterpart De Martino plays the drums. Both switch off with guitar as well as synthesized mixes that add to their already stimulating style.

Their debut album, “We Started Nothing,” primarily fits the pattern of fast-paced Brit-pop riffs, but they indulge in a couple balladry tracks that are reminiscent of contemporary folk music. Aside from having a very unique pop sound with a range of vocals, The Ting Tings offer a DIY kind of attitude when it comes to its recording and artwork.

Although they recorded their singles and album by themselves in Manchester, England, White and De Martino enjoy incorporating the audience in their performances and CD sleeve artwork. During a promotional four-city tour, they asked audiences in Salford, Berlin, New York and London to help design sleeves for 100 of their 7-inch LP singles. The designed sleeves were then sold at the following show.

The Ting Tings are true fan-loving musicians who create, improvise, inspire and electrify, all with just one album under their belt. Only time will tell how this duo will glow and grow.

Sounds like: The Kills, MGMT, Katy Perry and Duffy morphed.

Listen to when: getting ready for a party, at a party, unwinding from a party and working out.