5025 Apartments

Sports

October 9, 2008

VOLLEYBALL: Wins and losses don’t tell whole story for Aztecs

Written by: Staff

Its record shows six games under .500.

A 4-10 mark with just one win in Mountain West Conference play has the San Diego State volleyball team’s season looking very disappointing.

But while the marks in the win-loss columns don’t show it, SDSU has demonstrated skills good enough to at least be contenders in the MWC.

The Aztecs (4-10, 1-3 in MWC play) will attempt to prove it today when they head to Provo, Utah, to face MWC rivals BYU (9-5, 2-3) at 6 p.m.

While the Cougars’ winning percentage may be higher, it’s clear to SDSU that BYU is not as good as its record would indicate.

“We watched some film on them this week,” head coach Mark Warner said. “And, although their record is much better than ours, we still think this will be a very winnable match.”

The film revealed the type of style the Cougars will bring to the match against the Aztecs. They play a traditional, smash-mouth type of play that Warner believes SDSU can capitalize on.

“The film has shown us that they play with that style and that they aren’t quite as good as they have been in the past,” Warner said. “(BYU’s) ball control is a bit suspect. They also lost to TCU in three sets and I think that if our team can play well, we can definitely win this match.”

Still, the Aztecs need to continue to improve their ball control if they are going to have any chance of winning the match. In their last two matches Warner says he’s seen a marked improvement in the way SDSU possesses the ball.

“We’ve shown signs of getting better at controlling the ball,” Warner said. “As long as we can keep getting better, we should have a good chance of success.”

The match against BYU has more significance to the Aztecs than just improving their stats. SDSU wants to show that it is capable of competing in its own conference.

“It’s almost like we’ve been trying too hard to win,” Warner said. “If we keep going the way we’re going with our skills, the winning should take care of itself. We can’t say “We gotta win. We gotta win.’ Because we would forget about the skills we need to work on.”

At A Glance:
When: 6 p.m., today
Where: Provo, Utah
Why to watch: The Aztecs will try to improve their record against Mountain West Conference rivals BYU.

Staff

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0