WOMEN’S GOLF: Last round today

Ranked 77th in the nation in recent polls, San Diego State is trying to string together some successful tournaments in order to maintain and improve its current position. SDSU is involved in simultaneous tournaments this week; the NMSU Price’s “Give “Em Five” Invitational in Las Cruces, N.M., and the Aztec Fall Classic in Chula Vista. The “A”-team is facing several ranked teams in Las Cruces today as the team heads into the final round in 12th place.

“We definitely want to beat as many ranked teams as we can,” head coach Felicia Brown said. “It will help our ranking a lot.”

Player to watch:
Sophomore Samantha Roberts is definitely a player to keep an eye on. Roberts, a local from the Carlsbad area, set a personal best at the CU Heather Farr Memorial Invitational with a score of 5-over 221. This is her second year with the team and according to Brown, “She is really starting evolve as a player.”

Key losses:
The team graduated two of its top players from last year’s squad, Kim Carmody and Anna Booth. However, with 12 of the 15 players from last year’s team returning, this Aztec squad is rapidly becoming a very experienced group.
“We were really young last year and we traveled quite a lot,” Brown said. “Everyone’s kind of growing into their games this year, though.”

Mark your calendars:
SDSU will see some of its toughest competition of the season at the Kent Youel Invitational on Oct. 27 through the 29 in Kapolei, Hawaii. It is the team’s final tournament of the fall season and it is undoubtedly excited to be able to compete against such tough competition in Hawaii.

Newcomer to watch:
Freshman Malin Enarsson has been the number one player through the early part of this season. Enarsson, a Swedish native, has every indication of being a strong player as she has broken par several times this year. With such impressive scores, Enarsson just might shoot her way into an Aztec record book.
“She’s definitely in the running for freshman of the year in conference,” Brown said.

Quotable:
“Each golf course is like a different opponent,” Brown said. “You never know what you’re going to get.”

WOMEN’S GOLF: Last round today