WORLD NEWS: Breaking updates

Hurricane Gustav tears through Cuba
No deaths have been reported in Cuba after the enormous Hurricane Gustav ripped through the Isla de la Juventud and Cuba’s mainland causing the evacuation of approximately 250,000 people. A Category 4 hurricane with roaring 140 mph winds, the storm landed first on the Isla de la Juventud, population 87,000, and then it touched down again on Cuba’s mainland, where the bulk of its tobacco crop is grown. Though many were reported injured, no death reports have been documented in that region. However, 81 people died in Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica because of the hurricane.

Decapitated Bodies Discovered in Mexico
Decapitated, handcuffed and without shirts, 11 bodies were discovered Thursday in Chichi Suarez, a suburb of Merída, Mexico. Investigators said the bodies appeared to be victims of the burgeoning drug-related violence in the Yucatan State, which has escalated in recent weeks. According to The New York Times, members of the drug cartel often try to send a message to their enemies by chopping the heads off their victims. A reported 2,682 lives have been lost this year in the drug war, El Universal reported last week.

Russian Troops Remain in Georgia
A Georgian official reported Saturday that Russian soldiers remain at key checkpoints in Georgian territory and continue to patrol the Black Sea port after the majority of Russian troops retreated in recent days. Moscow deployed troops three weeks ago to defeat Georgia from taking over South Ossetia, a disputed separatist province. Disregarding appeals by the U.S. and European nations to withdraw from Georgia, Moscow claims troops are needed to prevent future attacks on Russia by Georgia.

– Compiled by City Editor Wendy Fry. Sources Used: The New York Times, The Washington Post and National Public Radio.

WORLD NEWS: Breaking updates