Feeding hungry minds across the world

Bryan Koci / Staff Photographer

Donating money is not easy for most people, even if it is for a good cause. But a San Diego State professor is doing something different for charity despite the economic strain.

It does not involve giving away money, but giving away books. Dr. Peter Larlham, professor in the School of Theatre, Television and Film is collecting used books to start a library for his former elementary school in central East Africa.

Located in Kongwa, Tanzania, Mnyakongo School consists of 800 pupils from ages 7 to 12. The school does not have the amenities one would normally see in regular elementary schools here in the U.S. It doesn’t have computers, an abundance of tables or even electricity, all of which are vital resources for learning.

According to Larlham, he started this project primarily because of President Barack Obama’s inauguration speech.

“I remember (what) the president said about feeding hungry minds,” Larlham said. “We need to reach out to other countries and help them.”

But Larlham’s inspiration ultimately came when he and his wife went back to the school in October of last year for his 50-year reunion with his classmates from Mnyakongo. The experience helped him realize that he needs to give something back to Africa.
“When I went back, people were so nice,” Larlham said. “They performed songs and danced for us and we just wept.”

Larlham was very proud to say that his old classroom still exists. He said his former classmates are also doing something meaningful to give back to their elementary school.
Larlham believes that creating a library for the school and the students is the best way to give something long-lasting back.

“Rather than giving money, give something tangible like books,” Larlham said. “Something the children can experience.”

With this book drive, Larlham hopes to collect books that are appropriate for children’s education. He needs dictionaries, encyclopedias, picture storybooks or anything else that would help the children expand their knowledge.

Although English is the students’ second language, Mnyakongo assured Larlham that English is the “lingua franca” of Africa and the donated books would serve as a powerful learning resource for the elementary students at Mnyakongo.

So far, Larlham has collected at least 4,000 books that are kept in a secured room. Despite the number of collected books, Larlham said he thinks his project can definitely be expanded if he is able to reach more people. He is looking for people who can help him get the word out, promote the project around campus and send out e-mails.

Recently, a student dropped off a suitcase full of books to be added to Larlham’s collection.

Larlham, along with student and faculty volunteers from SDSU, will send the books collected in January of next year to make sure it gets to Kongwa by May, which is when the project is expected to be finished.

For donations or more information about being a part of this book drive, contact Larlham directly at plarlham@mail.sdsu.edu.

Feeding hungry minds across the world