ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE: Baltimore comes to San Diego in retro musical

Courtesy of San Diego REP and J. Katarzyna Woronowicz Photography

As the spotlight hit the stage on opening night, Tracy Turnblad turned back the clock to 1962 when she opened with the song “Good Morning Baltimore.” \

Showing at the Lyceum Theatre until Aug. 15, “Hairspray” is a musical comedy based on John Waters’ 1988 film. This production of “Hairspray” is a partnership between the San Diego Repertory Theatre and the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts.

Tracy, played by Bethany Slomka, stole the audience’s heart the second she walked onstage with her big hair and adorable outfit. She was not only funny, but also lovable. Slomka also wowed audiences with her vocals in the songs “I Can Hear the Bells,” “Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now” and “Welcome to the “60s.”

Slomka’s onstage romance with Link Larkin was pleasing to watch as the relationship unfolded. Efren Ramirez gave a wonderful performance as the good-looking, talented stud who falls in love with Tracy. The duo even shared a kiss after they sang “It Takes Two.”

Another character who caught the audiences’ attention was Velma Von Tussle, played by Leigh Scarritt. Stomping her way across the stage with her evil eye while wearing heavy makeup, a tight minidress, five-inch heels and her big blonde hair, Scarritt pulled off the perfect antagonist look compared to the adorable Tracy.

One of Scarritt’s outstanding moments during the musical was when she sang “The Legend of Miss Baltimore Crabs.” She was able to stun the crowd with her amazing vocal performances and evil personality.

Even though the professional performers were outstanding, what cannot be ignored are the fantastic performances by the students of SCPA. The students’ youthfulness and energy made the musical infinitely more exciting and bright.

With dance, music, comedy, singing and romance all mixed into one, “Hairspray” left audiences wishing they were in Baltimore in 1962.

The musical will be performing at the Lyceum Theatre until Aug. 15. The San Diego REP will also feature many other performances throughout the rest of its 2010-2011 season, including “The Road to Mecca,” “Storyville,” “Superior Donuts,” “In the Next Room” and “Let Me Down Easy.” Discounted tickets are available for students, military and seniors.

For more information regarding tickets and times, contact the Lyceum Theatre box office at 619-544-1000 or check out San Diego REP’s website at www.sdrep.org.