Axe Peace

Sports

September 16, 2010

VOLLEYBALL: Aztecs try to take down crosstown rival

Written by: Staff

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

It’s been a long time since the San Diego State volleyball team beat USD.

Seven years to be exact.

SDSU came back from a 2-0 deficit during the 2003 season to defeat the No. 18 Toreros, 3-2.

Since then, the Aztecs haven’t been able to notch a victory against their crosstown rival. SDSU senior middle blocker Lauren Salisbury will try to change that this weekend.

“I have walked into every match at San Diego State with a sense of urgency, regardless of which team was on the other side of the net,” Salisbury said. “Being a senior hasn’t really changed (my) sense of urgency or aggressive play, but I will definitely walk into the match with a lot more knowledge than the previous years.”

USD has been a force in the West Coast Conference, winning three consecutive league titles between the 2006 and 2008 seasons. Amy DeGroot has been a big part of the Toreros’ accomplishments. The senior outside hitter has been key in her time at USD, and she currently ranks first in the WCC with 3.78 kills per set this season.

DeGroot was also a huge part of USD’s success this past weekend, recording 28 kills in the Toreros’ two victories against Virginia and then-No. 23 Long Beach State.

“They will have a little momentum, but with each game comes new competition,” Salisbury said. “Regardless of ranking, on any given night, any team can win.”

While the Aztecs may be coming off a winless weekend in Hawaii, they had won five of their previous six contests and will look to use that same momentum against USD.

In that stretch, the arms of junior outside hitters Kyley Sexton and Paije Pearson were instrumental in SDSU’s success. Along with the duo, freshman outside hitter Raegan Shelton was also involved in the offense.

“We have a great group this year,” Salisbury said. “And when we play with confidence and composure we do — good things.”

The Aztecs will face off against a tough slate of teams in the USD / SDSU Challenge. After its contest with the Toreros at 7 p.m. tomorrow in Peterson Gym, SDSU (5-4) will return to its home court to face No. 12 Minnesota at 11 a.m. on Saturday before ending the tournament with a match against UC Santa Barbara later that night.

“This weekend will be great competition for us,” Salisbury said. “All the teams in the tournament are great programs and we are excited to play them. Regardless if we are playing the No. 1 team in the nation, or the last-ranked team, we are here to play San Diego State volleyball.”

AT A GLANCE:

When: 7 p.m., tomorrow

Where: Peterson Gym

Why to watch: The San Diego State volleyball team will attempt to pick up its first win against the Toreros since 2003.

Staff

1897847_699528053437959_3902127434730256396_n

Dancers will give knockout performance

K.O. Hip Hop Dance Team will have its first annual showcase this Wednesday, 8-10 p.m. The showcase will take place in the Aztec Student Union Theater. Admission is free and food will be provided. “K.O. stands for Koalition, w...
by Carly Bertolozzi
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

SDSU launches first ‘Trans Week of Empowerment’

On April 7, San Diego State kicked off its first Trans* Week of Empowerment to bring positive visibility to the transgender community. The event was inspired by Trans Day of Empowerment, a national event that began in San Diego...
by Adriana Millar
0

Draft Day movie stills

Sports drama will mostly attract football lovers

Football fans far and wide, this is the movie for you. Directed by Ivan Reitman, “Draft Day” stars Kevin Costner as General Manager of the Cleveland Browns Sonny Weaver Jr. The drama takes place on NFL draft day, the one da...
by Hayley Spence
0

NCAA Final Four semifinals Arlington, TX

SDSU shows maturity in NCAA pandemonium

Rare is the opinion column in praise of an issue or event. But San Diego State sports fans deserve kudos following a couch-fire season without a single sofa set ablaze in San Diego. Lord knows the Aztecs’ men’s basketball t...
by Mike Heral
0

Ian Walsh-portrait

Sun and snow collide at Red Bull event

Normally San Diego State students wouldn’t be enthusiastic about waking up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday; most students have issues getting up by noon. But on Saturday, March 29 several SDSU students eagerly hopped out of bed with ...
by Christine Whitman
2