WORLD NEWS: 10-25-10

Cholera outbreak

More than 3,015 people in Haiti have been infected with cholera and another 208 have died so far because of the disease. People living in rural parts of Haiti have been exposed to cholera through the water systems and the outbreak has affected relief workers’ ability to help with earthquake recovery aid. The water agency in Haiti has provided citizens with tablets to purify water and information to help prevent the spread of cholera.

Shark attack

A bodyboarder was killed Friday after being attacked by what scientists assume was a great white shark. The attack happened at Surf Beach, north of Santa Barbara and authorities have closed it and two other beaches as a result of the fatality. A friend who was also bodyboarding saw 19-year-old Lucas Ransom attacked by the shark. Authorities are hoping to reopen the beaches by Monday.

China tries to block report

A United Nations report states Chinese ammunition was used in attacks on peacekeepers from the U.N. and the African Union in the Darfur region of Sudan. Under an embargo, countries may legally supply arms to Sudan but must have guarantees from the Sudanese government that the weapons will not make their way to Darfur. Other types of bullet casings found at attack sites included four manufactured in Sudan and two from Israel.

French approval ratings low

Protests against pension reforms backed by French President Nicolas Sarkozy have left the country with gas shortages, school shutdowns and travel chaos. A recent poll showed only 29 percent of those surveyed were satisfied with the president’s performance, putting his approval rating at its lowest level yet. If the pension reform becomes law, as is expected next week, the retirement age will rise from 60 to 62.

Pirates take two ships

Pirates seized two cargo ships during the weekend. Somali pirates captured both ships off of Kenya’s coast. One captured Sunday was a German vessel traveling to South Africa from the United Arab Emirates. The other ship, registered in Singapore, was captured Saturday while carrying 17 crew members. Authorities are investigating the pirate attacks.

–Compiled by News Editors Renee Villasenor and Sarah Kovash

WORLD NEWS: 10-25-10