Axe Peace

Features

November 8, 2010

Natural energizers help students stay alert

Written by: Staff

Victoria Piccone / Staff Photographer

By Michael Misselwitz, Contributor

Supposedly, the modern market offers five hours of energy in two ounces of mystery liquid. Fatigue can be forgotten with an over-the-counter capsule, and “wings” are available in an eight-ounce can.

For many college students, sleep deprivation is a fact of life, and companies such as Redbull and 5-Hour Energy are quick to capitalize on people who simply don’t have time for enough rest.

To remove unhealthy, unfulfilling, instant energy sources without losing any pep, try incorporating these natural, easy habits. Wings may even be possible.

Early morning

Instead of hitting the snooze button, roll out of bed onto the floor and crank out 20 pushups. Blood circulation is a major factor for the body’s vitality, and starting the morning with a mellow workout will release endorphins and get the heart pumping.

Midmorning

Slip on headphones, tune in to a favorite jam and rock out. Go to the bathroom for a solo dance-off if dancing in class isn’t on the professor’s syllabus. A quick, one-song dance session can be all the hype needed to make the mind ripe.

Noon

Everyone is susceptible to post-lunch drowsiness. To combat the pervasive slumber, take a break from studying with a quick physical activity. Professor David Kahan, program coordinator for physical education at San Diego State, said, “Sitting in lecture is a great way to fall asleep. Changing focus to something other than school can rejuvenate your thinking.”

Shelly Buono of the exercise and nutritional sciences department has students take an exercise break in her after-lunch classes to diminish the sleeping potency of her lecture.

Afternoon

To cure a weary mind, mid to late afternoon is an ideal time to take a stroll outdoors. Walking is Kahan’s favorite method for maintaining energy in the afternoon. “Walking outside provides fresh stimuli,” Kahan said. “If you are in a very stimulating environment doing stimulating activities, it’s almost impossible to be sleepy.”

San Diego’s optimal weather makes it an ideal place to lighten the eyelids with an afternoon saunter.

Evening

Drop a line to an old pal. Sometimes all that is needed to recharge the battery is a friendly voice. Reconnecting with distant friends triggers excitement, one of nature’s best energy supplements. “A friendly voice or a light conversation does magic for my mood,” SDSU senior Jessica Shamash said. “It instantly takes my mind out of the sleep mode.”

If a friend isn’t available, try a stranger. Often times the most stimulating conversations are the least expected.

Night

Do not prolong bedtime with hours of mind-numbing television. “The sleep wake is cyclical,” Kahan said. “One late night is enough to throw your body off for days.”

Instead of flopping down for a random episode of Jersey Shore, lay down in bed, read a book (for pleasure, not for class) and gradually drift off.  The energy accumulated during sleep will be there waiting in the morning.

Staff

DA-News

Fire burns home near SDSU

A fire caused about $250,000 of damage to a home near San Diego State early Wednesday morning, fire officials said. There were five people in the house at the time of the blaze. All occupants escaped safely, and a nearby apartm...
by Hannah Beausang
0

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 4.48.45 PM

APSA hosts annual fashion and talent show

This Friday, the Asian Pacific Student Alliance at San Diego State will host their 18th annual fashion and talent show from 6-10 p.m. in Montezuma Hall. This year’s event is titled “Here We Stand,” and will feature Asian-...
by Christine Whitman
0

04_17_14_Features_LITCollegeTour

LIT College Tour to engage and inspire students

If you want to get inspired, meet a mentor or talk with experts in various fields, the LIT College Tour is where you need to be this Saturday. The San Diego State Entrepreneur Society in association with the Cobian Marketing Gr...
by Chelsea Baer
0

04_17_14_Features_HealthExpo

Health expo will nourish students

Students won’t have to commute to a dietitian to learn healthy habits, as “Health Expo: The Road to Wellness” opens on the Centennial Walkway on April 17 from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The health expo is the combined effort of...
by Richard Freeland
0

DA-Features

Rimmel London’s Retro Cab will beautify stressed out students

When girls pick a hair tie instead of a ceramic curling iron and sweat pants instead of their favorite pair of skinny jeans, you know finals are fast approaching. Rimmel London is currently on a campus tour and is glamming its ...
by Michelle Monroy
0