WOMEN’S SOCCER: Aztecs look to defend Mountain West crown

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

By Eli Baldridge, Staff Writer

The San Diego State women’s soccer team is undefeated at home in conference play.  If SDSU continues its unbeaten streak at the SDSU Sports Deck through this week, the Aztecs will repeat as Mountain West Conference Champions.

SDSU earned a No. 3 seed in the MWC Tournament this week after tying a team record for most regular season wins in MWC history. The Aztecs will take on No. 6 Wyoming today in the quarterfinals of the MWC Championship, which is hosted by SDSU.

“After a rough start to the season for us we said we needed to start over,” head coach Mike Friesen said. “And we started over.  And the team continues to gain confidence off hard work.”

The Aztecs began the season slowly. Dealing with an extremely difficult schedule and a very young team, they went 2-7-3.

After a loss to Cal Poly on Sept. 26, Friesen told his team it could have a fresh start because conference play was starting.

SDSU capitalized on its opportunity and believes it is playing its best soccer of the season.

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

“Heading into the conference tournament we’ve got confidence,” freshman midfielder Zoe Carroll said. “Our team is playing really well.”

The Aztecs’ only two losses this season in conference play came to the top teams in the conference.  They dropped a pair of close contests to New Mexico and No. 13 BYU. The winner of the SDSU and Wyoming quarterfinal match will face BYU tomorrow.  

The last time the Cowgirls and Aztecs played was on Oct. 16. SDSU dominated the game statistically and won 2-0. The scores came from freshman Soledad Gomez and senior Britney Bennett.

The Aztecs enter the tournament coming off a 2-0 home win against UNLV. The underclassmen on the team have grown this season as both goals were scored by freshmen on Senior Day.

The defense has also played well as of late, only allowing one goal in the last four home games. SDSU will get senior goalie Aubree Southwick back for the tournament after she missed one and a half games because of a red card.

“This is a special team,” Friesen said. “And it sets up really well for us this week.”