Sterling Alvarado

January 24, 2011

Crime beat 1-24-2011

Written by: Hutton Marshall

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Mugging on College Ave.
Last Wednesday, one female student had her first day of the spring semester interrupted by a team of four muggers.

Two men approached the victim as she was walking alone on College Avenue at 2:30 p.m. When the victim refused to give the two her purse, the suspects snatched it from her, ran across College Avenue and jumped into a Ford Focus with two other men inside. The car was last seen heading southbound on Cresita Avenue.

Child and family development junior Kristen Caldwell was the victim of a very similar crime in November. She was approached from behind at approximately 8:15 p.m. by a man carrying a gun as she walked behind University Towers and had her schoolbag taken from her. Moments later, she saw another man with the suspect as he fled, getting into a white Toyota with two other men inside.

While it is unknown whether the two incidents are related, Capt. Lamine Secka of the SDSU Police Department said the connection “is certainly something the SDPD will be examining.”

Campanile Drive assault
Early Friday morning, a female student was walking home when a male pursued her, grabbed her arm and punched her in the eye. The victim evaded the suspect and contacted the police. The victim said she didn’t have anything the suspect could have taken besides her phone, which was in her pocket.

According to the Campus Community Crime Alert issued for the incident, the suspect is a white male, approximately 5-foot-10-inches to 6-feet tall weighing 160 to 180 pounds with light blond hair. The suspect was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans, with no facial hair.

Anyone with information relating to these incidents can call Crime Stoppers at 619-235-8477.

Hutton Marshall

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0