5025 Apartments

Entertainment

January 26, 2011

Melted faces at Jägermeister Music Tour

Written by: Amanda Macias

Courtesy of Buckcherry.com

Courtesy of Buckcherry.com

In addition to manufacturing a well-known liquor, Jägermeister has managed to sponsor more than 160 bands in multiple shows nationwide, including Ozzfest. The world-renowned company kicked off its ninth annual music tour at San Diego’s own 4th and B last Wednesday night. This year’s installment of the Jägermeister Music Tour hosted a well-built musical lineup featuring some of metal’s biggest names, including Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano of Anthrax and Vinnie Paul of Pantera.

In years past, headliners of the Jägermeister Music Tour ranged from Disturbed and Slayer, Drowning Pool and even Slipknot.  This year’s headliner, Buckcherry, shared the road with The Damned Things, All That Remains and Hellyeah.

Los Angeles native Kaustik opened the show with a bang, playing a complete 30-minute set that sounded eerily similar to the musical styling of Metalocalypse’s Dethklok. Despite some technical difficulties that essentially led the band’s eccentric guitar riffs and powerful solos to drown out the vocal harmonies, the set ended successfully.

Next to hit the stage was none other than The Damned Things. The unique metal supergroup played songs from its debut album “Ironiclast,” including the hit, “We’ve Got A Situation Here.” Throughout the set, it wasn’t difficult to see that both Ian’s and Caggiano’s guitar playing supremacy allowed them to steal the show.

Hard rock great All That Remains incited a musical riot and created mini mosh pits throughout the audience. The adrenaline level of the crowd escalated only after All That Remains’ front man Phil Labonte went shirtless and dove straight into the ocean of awestruck fans, ultimately intensifying the hype before Hellyeah hit the stage.

Hellyeah took the stage by storm and ultimately played its most amazing set to date.  But what sealed the deal for front man Chad Gray was giving the audience a heartfelt message:

“We’re a family. It’s not just we the band and you the fan. We’re up here experiencing this s—- together, man.”
Since the band’s revival in 2005, Buckcherry has been putting its all in to every performance from beginning to end. It’s no wonder why the band was chosen to headline this year’s tour.

The ever-tatted Josh Todd paraded across the stage with such contagious energy, it practically radiated throughout the venue.  The hour and a half set featured songs from its album “15” and even the recently released “All Night Long” album. The musical paring of guitarists Keith Nelson and Stevie D. alongside Todd’s vocals made for a jaw-dropping experience and one hell of a closing to a remarkable rock show.

For more information about the tour, visit jagermeistermusictour.com.

Amanda Macias

by Chris Blakemore
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

Photo by Sarah Smith, Staff Photographer

Mistakes prove costly even without prize money

While PGA Tour pros were pacing the illustrious fairways of Augusta National Golf Club during the 78th Masters Tournament, the San Diego State University men’s golf team had a date of its own at the 68th Annual Western Interc...
by Rafael Avitabile
0

Photo by Elpin Keshishzadeh, staff writer

Aztecs help Relay for Life beat its fundraising goal

This past weekend, San Diego State students raised $27,577 for cancer research during the annual Relay for Life fundraiser. Relay for Life is organized by the Colleges Against Cancer club and the American Cancer Society. SDSU s...
by Elpin Keshishzadeh
0

04_14_14_Opinion_Cash_Thinkstock

Social Security or Social Insecurity? Millennials should watch out for future.

As college students, we are in a transition from young adults with little responsibility to being the next young professionals. And while we might still feel young, there are a lot of responsibilities coming our way that we mus...
by Kelly Gardner
0