5025 Apartments

Features

February 20, 2011

Essential apps to buy before traveling

Written by: Marie McCarty

MCT Campus

MCT Campus

In the endless assortment of applications available in the Apple App Store, preparing a travel-ready iPhone may appear to be a daunting task. Opposed to spending hours painstakingly scrolling through user reviews and top rated apps, look into these 10 essential apps aimed to ease travelers through any adventure.

Before embarking on vacation, take a moment to download these apps and become prepared for anything future travels may cast your way.

Before the trip

1. Packing Pro ($2.99) — Listed as one of the best iPhone apps for travelers in the past two years, Packing Pro does the work of listing everything needed to pack for traveling, from cameras to cash. Packing Pro comes preloaded with hundreds of items, and there is complete flexibility to add new categories, types and items. Don’t worry about forgetting something before it’s too late. If it’s on the list, pack it.
  2. Kayak (Free) — The iPhone version of the popular website Kayak.com allows users to compare hundreds of travel sites at once for booking hotels, flights, rental cars and full trips at no cost.

At the airport

1. FlightTrack ($4.99) — Track flights with visually stunning maps, obtain real-time departure information, keep updated about flight cancellations and always stay informed about flight delays, early arrivals and changed gate numbers with FlightTrack. In addition, FlightTrack offers full international coverage, allowing all flights to be tracked worldwide. It may cost a few bucks but is imperative for those who fly regularly.
  2. GateGuru (Free) & Gate Maps ($0.99) — GateGuru and Gate Maps offer solutions to travelers rushing to find a connecting flight or who have a few hours to kill at the airport. GateGuru offers information and reviews about all the places to eat and shop in nearly any airport, while Gate Maps navigates travelers through unfamiliar airports with ease.

Upon Arrival

1. Google Maps (Free) — Leave it to Google to create the optimal travel map. Google Earth’s satellites cover almost every square inch of the entire world in addition to people uploading new street views constantly. The best thing about it: never having to figure out how to fold it back up the correct way.
  2. WHERE (Free) — WHERE discovers what is nearby with real-time information and recommendations about restaurants, movies, weather, news, cheap gas, friends and more. It’s great for those on the move who need quick and helpful information, directions or simply ideas of what to do in an unfamiliar place.
  3. Free Translator (Free) — In a foreign country, nothing can seem more daunting than a language barrier. This simple, fast and free app translates Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Chinese, Czech, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi and Vietnamese.
  4. World Customs and Cultures (Free) — When traveling in foreign lands, it is vital to know the customs and cultures. This app quickly searches helpful tips, laws and cultural differences by country.
  5. Offline Wikitravel ($7.99) — Offline Wikitravel provides travelers with travel tips, info, history, suggestions, and guides anytime, anywhere. Offline Wikitavel stores more than 20,000 worldwide travel guides from the Wikitravel website on the iPhone and is accessible outside of Wi-Fi and data range after the initial download.
  6. Skype (Free) — Much like the computer program, Skype allows for completely free calls on the go via Wi-Fi networks. It is ideal for keeping in contact with friends and family without racking up costs for pricy international calls.

Marie McCarty

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0

One Comment

1. John Kim

how about the tripadvisor app, I use that one a lot.