Sterling Alvarado

Sports

February 8, 2011

Fisher and Boylen exchange words about timeout

Written by: Edward Lewis

SDSU vs. Boylen

With 1.2 seconds left on the clock in the second half, his team down by 32, Utah head coach Jim Boylen called a timeout.

What was left of the 12,414 in attendance on Tuesday night at Viejas Arena all turned to each other and let out a collective Are you kidding me? groan.

In the postgame hand shake line, Boylen had words with SDSU head coach Steve Fisher. This is what Fisher had to say about the last-second timeout and the icy postgame meeting:

“Jim Boylen said to me after the game, ‘Why did you shoot the ball (with six seconds left, up by 32)?’ Fisher said. “And I said ‘Jim, there was a two-second difference between the shot clock and the game clock, did you want me to take a violation?’”

With six seconds left in the game, Aztecs forward Mehdi Cheriet buried a jumper to make the game 85-51, which Boylen seemed to think was Fisher running up the score on Boylen’s Utes.

“We weren’t trying to rub it in,” Fisher said. “And he came back later and said, ‘If I was wrong I apologize.’ I don’t know if that’s why he took (the timeout) or not. He might have been wanting to work on a last-second situation at the end. I don’t know.”

In regards to the timeout, Boylen said, “I have to coach  my team. It’s a teachable moment. I have to take every advantage of that.”

SDSU and Utah won’t face off again this season, unless they meet in the MWC Tournament next month in Las Vegas.

Edward Lewis

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0